Rescued iMac G3 PM 2.1/750 400Mhg, 13Gb HDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zarn, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Zarn macrumors newbie

I was visiting a friend and along side the dumpster that serves they appt. was a Blue iMac G3 in just about perfect condition. I brought it home warmed it up and it came to life... amazing!

Since I was solely a PC person it has been interesting to navigate and understand what software works with what OS version/processor. So the last few days I installed OSX OS X 10.4.11 no problem. Installed Open Office 3.0.ORC4. Everything works just fine and reasonably fast as well. There is 640Mb of PC133 SD RAM installed. I plan to get the RAM to 1Gb and install a Firewire HDD. BUT....

I want to now get busy w/ programs like iLife and GarageBand etc. What versions would be best suited for a G3 w/ OS X 10.4.11. It looks like iLife 08 will not work w/ a G3?... unless someone has a processor crack? Please also let me know what other application versions (MS Office, etc.) would run well on a G3/OS X 10.4 configuration.

I appreciate all input on this matter.

This iMAC has changed my outlook on computing.

Z1

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A 400 MHz G3 won't run anything up to date. Try iLife '05 perhaps, but a G3 really isn't useful today.

3. Kleivonen macrumors member

Yeah. G3's are pretty old technology. We just threw out our old one, it wasn't worth anything. It could barely run Internet Explorer. Then the Gfx card died and it just wasn't worth anything. To be honest, I'd use this to see if you like the OS, and if you do, Pick up an updated Mac Mini after MWSF or a 2.0 GHz MB.

4. rs13 macrumors member

well nice to hear you saved a classic mac but as has been said in other post it really is not up to running anything up to date i would maybe consider selling it for parts unless you plan to keep it either way clad to hear your enjoying the whole mac experience.