"Rescued" Three iBook G3s

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Aug 21, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I periodically go to my local recycling centre and sift through the e-waste and sometimes find good stuff. Matter of fact, my new PC, I got free there. Monitor, tower, mouse and all. Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM all the goods. Rich people throw away gold man.
    I decided to drop by today and was sifting through the average old sound blasters, home phones and etc. But then I saw on top of a box, an iBook battery. So I got kinda excited and kept looking. The first thing I found was then a box of 16 decent iBook batteries. So again, I started looking for iBooks and ended up finding three 700MHz iBook G3s inside of a Pentium II PC'c case (Why where they there, I know not). They were all very dirty on the outside but actually very clean on the inside so I took it all home and cleaned them. They are all 2002 model 700MHz G3s with 256MB RAM and 16MB VRAM. One needs a new hard drive, another boots but the display remains black so I'll look into it later. And the last one works 100%. All I need to do to it is put some new thermal paste on the graphics chip and it's set. I'm not sure what I plan on doing with the other two, but I'm definitely going to restore them both to working order. As for batteries, I think I'm going to buy some nice cells off ebay and try rebuilding a few.

Attached Files:

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Amazing. I though that e-waste facilities would not allow people to come and pick stuff up. If I am wrong then I am going to change the way I do my shopping!

3. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

The place by me closes at 5. I just go after they close.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Operator: We have reports of a break in at the e-waste recycling facility. State Trooper 94 please respond and report back.

5. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

It's all open and outside. No gates no nothin m8.

6. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Ugh. So it turns out two of these iBooks have the infamous GPU issue. I'm probably just going to put something in between the chip and the case to put pressure on it.

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Where are you that you are allowed to go to a recycling facility and take stuff?!

I'm packing my bags and moving there :p

8. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Canton Ohio m8. It's considered an open trash can so it's completely legal to take from it.

9. weckart macrumors 68040

I am sure that Canton, OH is a lovely place whatever you may consider it. :)