Research gathering and organizing software + writing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ratboy90, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I'm looking for a program with which I can gather and organize my research(youtube videos, pictures, articles, webpages etc) and also write a paper with the use of that research. So far I've only found Scrivener but I'd like to know if there's something better around for me.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You might consider Papers, which won an Ars Technica deisgn award in the Education category this year. Also rated with 4.5 mice from Macworld.

http://mekentosj.com/papers/

It's a paid app, and kind of pricey too. I've yet to try it out, so I can't do more than point you in this direction, but it looks to have a tonne of great features.
    EDIT: just looked at the site again, and see there's a 40% for students.

3. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

but isn't papers only for pdf files?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. Serif macrumors regular

I'd take a look at MacJournal. I find it very flexible in terms of being able to organise information how you want to, but I'd use it in conjunction with a proper word processor to write your paper. Also bear in mind that you may be required to produce your paper in a particular format which will further restrict the software you can use.

Papers is excellent at what it does, essentially managing a personal library of academic papers, but I'm not sure it would be suitable for what you have in mind.