Research Help: Average Salaries in Academia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, May 10, 2011.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey Guys,

I need to do a research project on salaries for administrators (from Dean to the assistants and everyone in between) at universities and colleges. While the average salary for a Dean of a school is not hard to find, I am having trouble finding information for lower end positions.

The true cherry on top would be finding some salary data on small schools and non-profit institutions.

Any one a wiz at the google research and think they'd be able to help direct me to some good data?

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

I know in my state (Iowa) you can look up the salaries of all government officials.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

It's a little dated, but I did find something from 2002. It compares all of Florida's schools and Big East schools and some others. Certainly not every university in the country however.

http://web.usf.edu/FacultySenate/ay0304/documents/currents/USF Faculty Salary Peer Comp 2002.pdf

4. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

contact the department of labor for the fed or the states you are interested in....

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Great. That is a start! Thank you!

That's a good idea!

I was looking at this website, but it was mostly about faculty. Everything else, I needed to be a subscriber to access the information. The school I work for, subscribes, but until I hear if I can have access to their account, I can't get to the proper information.

Thank you all! If anyone else has some information, please don't hesitate to pass it along.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you're in California, you can search the salaries of public employees via a database maintained by the Sacramento Bee (just Google it). You will have a few filter options that you can use to help, but it will give you a mountain of data.

I've searched some professor salaries out of curiosity, and found that their salaries range from $150-250k.

You should be able to find most of this data because the Freedom of Information Act makes these figures public (or capable of being made public) for public schools, but private schools are going to be almost impossible to figure out because they don't have to report this stuff.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Okay cool I'll look it up. Is it only for faculty/professor salaries?

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No, it will list all public employees of the state (including DMV workers, justices, etc). You can filter by university and institution though and then have it give the values in ascending or descending salary order. It will include job descriptions as well.

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

This site has been wonderful.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ditto in Missouri, we always had fun looking that stuff up. Most professors weren't worth what they were paid. Some deserved way more than they got. One of my professors, who basically got me interested in the career path that I've chosen, and whom I would consider the best teacher I've ever had, makes what I got for a starting salary when I graduated college. Kinda sad, really.

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Great advice. When it comes to academia, the salaries have a huge range. It's not as narrow as some fields I have looked at.

Without any surprise, a person with a masters (and sometimes BA/BS) in the same field in private industry in a large city trumps another with a PhD who is solely in academia.