Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Research in Motion and Microsoft Update Phone Syncing Software for Mac OS X

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A pair of Apple's competitors in the smartphone market haven't forgotten that not all Mac users use the iPhone as their mobile phone, as both Research in Motion and Microsoft this week pushed out updates to their Mac OS X software that allows users of the companies' smartphones to sync to their Macs.

Research in Motion on Wednesday announced the release of BlackBerry Desktop Software 2.0 for Mac OS X, bringing support for several new features, the most substantial of which is Wi-Fi syncing. The feature allows users to wirelessly sync music between their BlackBerry and their Mac when connected to the same Wi-Fi network, a feature many iPhone users have been hoping to see added to iTunes.

The update also adds a "Device Switch Wizard" that helps BlackBerry users move data, applications, and settings from one handset to another, easing the transition for users purchasing a new BlackBerry device. Finally, BlackBerry Desktop Software now supports easier syncing of photos and videos from BlackBerry devices to iPhoto.

Research in Motion announced that it would be releasing Mac OS X syncing software for BlackBerry devices in July 2009, and launched it to users in October of that year.

As noted by Pocket-lint, Microsoft yesterday followed suit with its own update to its Windows Phone 7 Connector beta, fixing a number of issues and introducing new support for syncing purchased music from devices back to users's Macs, enhancements to new device setup, and increased options for manual management of content.

Windows Phone 7 Connector debuted in late October to support Microsoft's new smartphone operating system.

Article Link: Research in Motion and Microsoft Update Phone Syncing Software for Mac OS X

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

About time wireless sync came to iOS 4. As good as the iPhone is it is really archaic to have to plug in to sync everything. We shouldn't have to over pay for MobileMe to wireless sync in our own homes!

Comment

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Choice is good. Let's hope Microsoft can finish their software before releasing it. I have a little more faith in RIM doing so.

Comment

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
Why does the BB software require rebooting the darn thing? I tried installing without rebooting but it won't work. Can't say i didn't see this coming. I won't be rebooting until the next OS X update, guess my BB can wait till then.

Comment

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

About time wireless sync came to iOS 4. As good as the iPhone is it is really archaic to have to plug in to sync everything. We shouldn't have to over pay for MobileMe to wireless sync in our own homes!

But wireless syncing for the iPhone hasn't come yet.. Maybe for BB/..

Comment

ZipZilla

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Fail

The WiFi music sync in Blackberry Desktop Manager 2.0 for Mac OS X *only* works with Blackberry OS 6.

There is only one currently shipping OS 6 device: The Blackberry Torch on AT&T.

No wonder RIM's marketshare is plummeting like a rock. The non-advancement is breathtakingly stupid.

Comment

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
And for those still rocking Nokia phones:

nokia.com/support/download-software/mac-support

Comment

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

WTF, blackberry gets wireless syncing and iPhones are stuck with USB?
I remember the good old Bluetooth sync days. What gives?

Comment

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

WTF, blackberry gets wireless syncing and iPhones are stuck with USB?
I remember the good old Bluetooth sync days. What gives?

On world "STEVE." ;)

Comment

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Remember the days when Palm was the device/company of choice for Mac users? Now look where they are. I'm not saying abandoning Mac users lead to their downfall, but as an example of getting what you deserve for an institutionalized culture of not listening to your customers and becoming a sluggish, innovation-free vacuum, it's pretty tasty. In its place? A list of vendors which includes Microsoft. Who'da thunk?

And for those still rocking Nokia phones:

nokia.com/support/download-software/mac-support

It's funny cos it's true.

Last edited:
Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The WiFi music sync in Blackberry Desktop Manager 2.0 for Mac OS X *only* works with Blackberry OS 6.

There is only one currently shipping OS 6 device: The Blackberry Torch on AT&T.

No wonder RIM's marketshare is plummeting like a rock. The non-advancement is breathtakingly stupid.

The FAIL is YOU for not READING.

WIFI music sync is specific to BB6 and was not promised for BB5 or lower devices - upgrade or pucker up. MAN you guys complain WAAAAY too much. Also BB6 is on: 9800 Torch, 9780, Style, and officially released by 1 carrier for 9100 Pearl (yet you cannot update other carriers firmware when using BBDM for Mac - you CAN using Windows or VMWare with Windows).

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
RIGHT now the MAIN issue is between Microsoft Office 2011 NOT allowing Sync Services (the reason to reboot after installation) to, well, Sync with Calendar!! :O Only Contacts will sync with Outlook 2011.

I'm SERIOUSLY PISSED at this because I live and breath BB and Outlook for PIM management in my Windows life at work and trying to be completely Mac. Yet Microsoft has "promised" a future update will bring this … whenever THAT is.

NO Microsoft, you will NOT force me to purchase your WM7 Smartphone brands of your partners.

Comment

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
Why does the BB software require rebooting the darn thing? I tried installing without rebooting but it won't work. Can't say i didn't see this coming. I won't be rebooting until the next OS X update, guess my BB can wait till then.

Uhm... You should reboot every couple days anyway... are you serious? If you are this is such fail.

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009

what's wrong with you?

Comment

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Choice is good. Let's hope Microsoft can finish their software before releasing it. I have a little more faith in RIM doing so.

Hope? You haven't tried the Zune software, I see. Makes iTunes look like crapware written by a high school student.

Comment

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Seems to sync well with my WP7 device. Doesn't calculate how much storage you will have left unless you actually complete the sync but its still a beta so thats cool. No crashes or lags using it yet

Syncs with iPhoto too and has kept all of my 'Events' in place so i can browse events on the phone too. Also resizes photos for the device :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.