Research: Macintosh as a "Brand Community"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ggilor1, Nov 1, 2009.

1. ggilor1 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am a Sociology student at Concordia University in Montreal and I am currently doing a research project on Macintosh computers.

My project focuses on brand communities created around Apple and its Macintosh Computers. I am interested in researching why individuals relate so greatly to this particular brand and to other “cult” brands (i.e. Coca-Cola, Harley-Davidson...), and how these individuals manage to create a sense of communal bonding around a commodified entity.
    Furthermore, I am also interested in drawing parallels on how brand-identification often reminds us of a cult-like phenomenon and/or an implicit religion.

As I am collecting data for a university project, I will need formal consent by members of this group to confirm that my presence here is okay. If there are any objections, please inform me.

As part of my project, I will be engaging in and also observing discussions within the macrumors.com message boards. Names will be kept confidential and only comments will be analyzed.

I am looking forward to your participation and interesting replies. Do not hesitate to contact me with questions, comments or suggestions.

2. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

The Cult of Mac is good resource here, particularly back web articles. Additionally, As The Apple Turns should be helpful.

ggilor1: Strongly recommend you obtain a book entitled "The Macintosh Way," (1990) ISBN 0-06-097338-2, by Guy Kawasaki. Kawasaki was one of the Apple employees originally responsible for marketing the Macintosh in 1984 - a Mac Evangelist - and it will help your project.

Montreal is a beautiful city, particularly old part of city along St. Lawrence, as is McGill University. Not so familiar with Concordia U or Loyola campus on west end. Nonetheless, enjoyed the city...

3. ggilor1 thread starter macrumors newbie

IntheNet,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I was not familiar with these websites.

Macrumors.com was suggested to me by a member of a Facebook group called "Apple Students".

As for Concordia U, it is located in the downtown area. McGill and Concordia are the only two English-speaking universities in Montreal. The Loyola Campus of Concordia is located in a neighbourhood called N.D.G. (Notre-Dame-de-Grace); as opposed to the Sir. George Williams Campus, it is not located downtown.

4. ggilor1 thread starter macrumors newbie