Research T2 Kernel panics before you buy.

ralphdonghut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
The computer crashes that started with the T2 chip have in the iMac Pro (Jan 2018) are unresolved and have now expanded to ALL products that include the T2 chip. Do some research before you buy to be informed. Good luck.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
The computer crashes that started with the T2 chip have in the iMac Pro (Jan 2018) are unresolved and have now expanded to ALL products that include the T2 chip. Do some research before you buy to be informed. Good luck.
I've not had a single panic on my 2018 MacBook Pro, and there's no guarantee any such problem would apply to an entirely new computer model.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

joptimus

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
There was also no guarantee when the Macbook Pro 2018 came out. Same argument could have been made that the panics were unresolved in the Mac (iMac?) Pro.

I would also advise caution. Why not - better than to blindly trust Apple when in the recent past they had plenty of problems. Currently, I cannot buy any of their laptops due to audio crackling, charger chime issues, KP, keyboard fails, staingate, thermal issues...my trust in the quality of such expensive products is just not there at the moment.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
The other issue with the Touch Bar MacBook Pro is the crashing Touch Bar.

It seems the "safest" for now could be the non-TB MacBook Pro or the 12" MacBook.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
There was also no guarantee when the Macbook Pro 2018 came out. Same argument could have been made that the panics were unresolved in the Mac (iMac?) Pro.

I would also advise caution. Why not - better than to blindly trust Apple when in the recent past they had plenty of problems. Currently, I cannot buy any of their laptops due to audio crackling, charger chime issues, KP, keyboard fails, staingate, thermal issues...my trust in the quality of such expensive products is just not there at the moment.

Seconded. Although susceptible to staingate, I've had no hardware issues with my 2015 13" MBPro. Although it could do things faster, obviously, at least I know I can trust it. Mojave sleep issues notwithstanding.

Reactions: darkmatter343

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London

It’s a funny time to be in, where you are likely to get more reliability/satisfaction buying a Windows laptop!

Reactions: g75d3

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
The computer crashes that started with the T2 chip have in the iMac Pro (Jan 2018) are unresolved
I have an iMac Pro which goes through lots of reboots and spends a lot of time at 100% cpu and have never had a problem. Never.

joptimus

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
I have an iMac Pro which goes through lots of reboots and spends a lot of time at 100% cpu and have never had a problem. Never.
So? You‘re certainly not the only owner of such a machine. Such comments serve absolutely no purpose.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
So? You‘re certainly not the only owner of such a machine. Such comments serve absolutely no purpose.
These comments do indeed serve a purpose. People reading these forums would assume that every computer with the T2 has all of these problems when that's clearly not the case. It's entirely reasonable for someone to mention that.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Actually they do, because the T2 chip that is in the iMac Pro, and Macbook Pro are now in the MBA and Mini.

Do some research before you buy to be informed. Good luck.
Please review this thread for some insight. I will say that I've not incurred any issues with my MBP but many others have
2018 MacBook Pros crashing with "Bridge OS" error

fokmik

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Same here I've not incurred any T2 KP with my MBP

Last edited:

joptimus

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
These comments do indeed serve a purpose. People reading these forums would assume that every computer with the T2 has all of these problems when that's clearly not the case. It's entirely reasonable for someone to mention that.
It may be, but how does it help those affected? It does not. And to be honest, it also doesn't reassure me as a prospective buyer (been reading about new MacBooks for a year now to upgrade from MBA 2015) one bit. It's nice that others have no problems, but in my opinion, there are more than enough reports from people having those issues (even trying out machines at various Apple stores which according to some reports, all had those symptoms) for me to feel safe buying a machine.
I would assume that I'm not alone in my apprehension. And frankly, it angers me to read these posts because in my mind, they downplay these issues. That will not help to force Apple fix them so we can buy machines with ease of mind.
The only ones helping are those who report back to Apple, increasing the pressure for a fix. My 2 cents.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016

Agreed. People come to forums when things are broken, not so frequently when things are working great. It's good to hear from users who aren't experiencing the issue too sometimes. If I was looking to buy I'd want to know the same thing - does it affect everyone?

turbineseaplane

macrumors 601
Mar 19, 2008
I looked into it based on this thread and it seems like a big issue affecting a small percentage of users.
Whether it's a big issue impacting a small percentage of users or a small issue impacting a big percentage of users..

Both scenarios are a big problem IMO.

They are having a hell of a time solving the T2 thing it would appear.
It has been ongoing for a long while now.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Agreed. People come to forums when things are broken, not so frequently when things are working great. It's good to hear from users who aren't experiencing the issue too sometimes. If I was looking to buy I'd want to know the same thing - does it affect everyone?
But, most people who own a broken anything don't go find a forum to complain about.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Sure, but that's totally different.
No, the assumption and thought conveyed is that forums are jammed with complainers who do not represent the population at large. I completely disagree with that.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
No, the assumption and thought conveyed is that forums are jammed with complainers who do not represent the population at large. I completely disagree with that.
ok then.

I think all you have to do is read a couple of threads on here to see that it's jammed with complainers who do not represent the population at large, that kind of seems like a 10 second exercise, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. :D

I suggest that the forum is primarily populated with largely uninformed fanboy and haters, and then the general public who come here for help with issues and get caught between the first two groups.

In no way would I say that the forum represents the population at large.

But sure, it's not impossible that you're right.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
ok then.

In no way would I say that the forum represents the population at large.
I agree for the opposite reason. Go read the reviews at BestBuy and Walmart. To say that the IQ of participants here is one standard deviation above them is being very kind to the BestBuy/Walmart folk who represent the general population.

If people here are having difficulties it is much worse outside this forum.

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
It may be, but how does it help those affected? It does not. And to be honest, it also doesn't reassure me as a prospective buyer (been reading about new MacBooks for a year now to upgrade from MBA 2015) one bit. It's nice that others have no problems, but in my opinion, there are more than enough reports from people having those issues (even trying out machines at various Apple stores which according to some reports, all had those symptoms) for me to feel safe buying a machine.
It helps those who are buying by letting them know that there is a risk of a problem. The issue effects a relatively small number of users percentage wise, if you consider the total number of shipments. If you wants absolutely no risk then you wait. Otherwise you purchase knowing there is a small chance you might have a problem. It allows one to make an informed buying decision, balancing out risk vs reward.

Robotronic

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Has anyone reported a BridgeOS related KP on a 2018 MBA? I see there is a report from one 2018 mini user on here, very sad if it is indeed the same issue plaguing the iMP and 2018 MBP.

Reactions: eagerwu

Chancha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
It seems after a week or more there is virtually none T2 / Bridge OS related Kernel Panics reported, at least by users of this forum. Can we take this as a hint that the MBA somehow has the issue ironed out while the MBPs keep getting them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
It seems after a week or more there is virtually none T2 / Bridge OS related Kernel Panics reported, at least by users of this forum. Can we take this as a hint that the MBA somehow has the issue ironed out while the MBPs keep getting them?
I think the MBP forum is far more "active" compared to the MBA forum so it is early days. I noticed on Reddit someone has reported the keyboard issue already on the MBA but the MBA forum seems quiet on any issues (other than screen brightness).

Last edited by a moderator: