iPad mini Researched and tested Android tablets, bought iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SMDBill, May 27, 2013.

1. SMDBill macrumors 6502

My 11 year old daughter (will be 12 in Aug) has been pulling in straight A's or nearly straight A's for years. Sweet girl who asks for nothing and is always willing to help, or helps without even being asked. We decided to reward her with a tablet of her own since an old netbook she used finally gave out (it was awful to use anyway).

We went to Best Buy and Walmart. We were set on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" for price, storage, etc. Specs were ok, looked nice and had expandable storage. But when we tried it out it was very slow to load apps, load web pages and navigate or scroll through a web page. Everything we did was just sort of slow. We tried a few other lower end Android tablets, none of them great. No Nexus 7 was available so we couldn't compare it.

We went back and forth from every tablet we tried to the iPad mini. Everything was smoother and nicer on the iPad so we decided to spend the extra on it and get her what we knew was a solid device with a pleasant experience. We used to have an iPad 2 so it was very familiar to her.

She was so excited. She had no idea we were even considering the mini for her and she just thought we were using it for comparison purposes. When we finally told her she could have the iPad (because we weren't as impressed with the Android tablets) she was almost in tears. She really never asks us for anything and she works so hard to please everyone she meets that we felt it was time to reward her.

We have one happy little girl at our house tonight!! :)

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

3. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

4. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

such a good daughter and even a greater parents. Congrats.

5. tazz3 macrumors regular

I also had a android tablet for a year before I got my ipad4.
    Android OS was messy and buggy. iOS is awesome.

6. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

Samsung Tab 2 is a decent tablet. However the poor resolution coupled with the weight makes it a no brainer that ipad mini should be preferred. Inspite of the "low" specs, the mini is so smoother and lag free than even premium android phones (Note 2).

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

As I keep saying, hardware specs means nothing for final user.
    The apple environment is just better.

8. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

9. zeego macrumors newbie

zeego

"Often imitated, never duplicated" - That phrase cannot be more true in the realm of the tablet world. Know many people who thought their competitor tablet was just fine until they used the real deal.

Thanks for sharing your story, and I'm glad you made the right choice and your daughter is happy by it.

Cheers!