Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idmean

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2015
Apple’s stance has always been “without us, you are nothing” to devs

wonder if the day will come that apple realizes without devs, they are nothing. Who wants an iPhone without any apps?
How is this related to the article? The person in question is a security researcher not an app developer.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
The Apple cult always puts on horse blinders and pretends Apple always has perfect solutions to this. If Israel has Pegasus then you better believe other governments have their versions as well. You can’t disprove that Apple works with governments. They had no problem handing the encryption keys for the Chinese servers over to the CCP.
Apple’s privacy spiel is comical, can’t believe people actually fall for it. Is iOS more secure than Android? Yes. Is it going to prevent a determined attacker or a nation state from hacking your phone? Hell no.

DesertDrummer

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Presumably they're referring to software security as the "wheels", as that's what the thread is about. Possibly software quality in general.

Then I'd say that's nonsense. History doesn't agree with that perspective.

The worst two years for vulnerabilities were 2015 and 2017. In recent years, the number has been decreasing.

And please compare against Android, which some folks on this thread are trying to claim is somehow "more secure" or doesn't have this problem:

This is the problem with making claims based on "how things feel" or "what seems to be happening".

Last edited:

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Like Buggy and bloated 12.5GB Big Sur compared to 4GB Windows 11.
I am curious to know : is Windows optimized for displays that have their pixel density equivalent to Retina displays ?
Because those @2x images are ~4X as big as the original, it probably explains a good part of it.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
The wheels that are coming off aren't the hardware items you mentioned. It's the attitude. I'm been an apple customer since about 1987. I've purchased tens of thousands of dollars of equipment. The wheels started coming off when apple switched to their insane policy of new OS's every year. That's more important to apple than making sure their hardware and software is as bug free as possible. Apple used to have a customer oriented mentality. That's gone. And in fact the wheels are't even on any more. The number of significant bugs in iOS 15 is proof enough. I used to think that apple could do no wrong. I now wonder if they can do much that is right!
I disagree. Many enjoy getting the new OS version every year. Nice way to keep your device modern with a new look and features for free. Those that don't like it don't have to upgrade.

Apple isn't writing code from scratch every year to release a new OS. It's basically the rolling update you are asking for but don't realize its already occurring. They are just adding to and tweaking existing code.

Now folks in this thread are praising Microsoft? Microsoft is the main reason our foreign adversaries are stealing intellectual property and private data on every citizen in the US. Please stop with the misinformation.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Come on guys and gals, Apple just did a big Keynote a few days ago, and we all know that the Keynote was way more important than any zero day vulnerabilities.

Remember the new Apple is Marketing over Functionality/Quality.

Or, these folks did not use the correct way, language, etc. to tell Apple about the vulnerabilities. You know Apple is way too important to listen to just anyone.

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
As someone who works at a large software company (and has some knowledge about folks who report stuff to us and what they say vs. what they do), let me just say that there are usually two sides to a story. Things are sometimes not what they seem. I'll leave it at that.

That being said, shame, shame, if all this checks out.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Not an expert on any of this but feels like a two wrongs not making a right type of situation. Apple should be treating security researchers with a lot more respect. At the same time the researchers shouldn't be going public with the vulnerabilities and putting everyone's devices at risk to prove their point.

At least it sounds like that's what's going on?

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
Not an expert on any of this but feels like a two wrongs not making a right type of situation. Apple should be treating security researchers with a lot more respect. At the same time the researchers shouldn't be going public with the vulnerabilities and putting everyone's devices at risk to prove their point.

At least it sounds like that's what's going on?
That’s the dilemma there. Usually security researchers set a timeframe with the companies for public disclosure of issues. For one, they want to get the credit, but more importantly, the companies won’t have any pressure to fix them if they don’t have a deadline, and plus, you don’t know for sure that there aren’t people out there actively using the exploit already. So there’s no point in hiding your discovery forever.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
What's so frustrating about this is that it's an "own goal".

Apple alone has insisted on this pointless constant march towards an "all new***" iOS version every year, when literally nobody wants that.

We all want features added over time when they are ready, sure. But more than that, people want things to get more polished, more optimized, faster, smoother, better, more well thought out.

Almost all of that is eliminated by forcing a full new version every year. The cycle of "fixing bugs" and "ironing out issues" never completes and then just restarts every Fall. It. Sucks.

iOS (and macOS) need to be "running releases" that get worked on and made better for a 3-4 year run before totally new versions.

They've made a treadmill for themselves and they can't keep up.
Well they are partially addressing this by saying they'll starting continuing to support the previous iOS major version with security updates when a new major iOS version is released. Admittedly, it'd be even better if they'd continue optimizing iOS 14 with general bug fixes and performance enhancements and not just addressing specific security vulnerabilities only, but at least they're providing an alternative to iOS 15 now.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Is Chip's Challenge still available anywhere? I haven't played that game in years.
You can download it from archive.org, but I think it only runs on 32-bit systems. I have XP 7-64, and 10 in VMWare. It only runs in XP. I thought I had it on a Win7-32bit machine at one point.

The videos about Apple's past antics starring that guy in the picture of the billboard are funny!

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
and it would only increase their security and engagement with the security research community
Well, when you consider that the ONLY way a security researcher would be content with a device’s security is that it’s kept in the box, in a safe in an undisclosed location, with a 70 word passphrase not known to the user, there’s really no useful way to increase engagement with the security research community.

Security community? Sure, those are the folks that both understand that having an easy way into and out of your house is a good thing, AND that having a door lock means you don’t have to ensure that all the cabinets in your single person home have combination locks to prevent intruders from getting into both your cleaning products AND your pantry in the act of poisoning your food.

Security Researchers are the folks that say you need to remove all the windows from a house because, while it’s a nice thing to have, it’s just an exploit waiting to happen!

Reactions: amartinez1660

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Many of the replies here are FUD likely from other desperate phone makers. I know first hand people who do this work and have had the exact opposite experience with Apple.
It could be said that if you know the names and personal information of a security researcher, well, are they a “REAL” security professional? I mean, they don’t even know how to keep their own information secure because of their STRONG desire to be a “thing” on social media. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.