Researchers demonstrate lithium cells that can power up in seconds

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blue Velvet, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I know nuffink about chemistry, but this sounds promising. :)

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's awesome. I wonder if the battery will lose life rapidly with those quick charge-ups. Either way that is promising news.

3. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Battery that 'charges in seconds'

From the BBC

Sweet and how Ionic :p

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Charging time doesn't seem to be what's crippling Li-Ion batteries now, but the length their charge powers a device. That's where the emphasis needs to be, in perfecting the technology and making more power efficient devices.

There was something about a new silver battery technology research that may be implemented to greatly lengthen the discharge time.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Not really. If I can go only 100 miles, but can charge in 10 seconds, that's a trade off I'd be willing to make. Heck, might even make long car trips more pleasant than sitting for 300 miles straight through...

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

How long does it take to refill with fuel? 5 minutes tops. Something similar to that timeframe would be more than acceptable to me. (Hours would not be my cup of tea)
    If they implemented a "fast charge" with the current "brake to charge" technology it would be perfect, unless you drove all interstates :D