Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Probably doesn't help when OS X is the first to be tested... :D

Doesn't matter that it was the first to be tested.

Windows 7 fell after slightly longer, OS X in 5 seconds.

Last years Pwn2Own, Windows 7 couldn't be cracked on the first day when the criteria was 'only through the internet'

OS X fell in about 8 seconds.

Žalgiris;12106879 said:
Which is media coverage and sitting on a security hole for months in order to get money instead of reporting it. Pathetis if you ask me.

You have no idea what these exploits are worth, Companies like Microsoft and Apple pay 10's of thousands of dollars for exploits, sometimes hundreds of thousands if its serious.

Some people make a handsome living selling exploits to these companies.

Last edited:

un.titled

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ah, another "have to go to a certain website and click around vulnerability". This isn't a security flaw, this is stupidity of the end user. You can wipe out your HDD if you want to.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
That's false, a guy said he would try it.

These guys prepare in advance. The guy was a no-show. Could it be he couldn't come up with a hack in time and thus decided not to go waste his time at the competition ? Yeah, definitely a win for Chrome.

+1

Chrome > Safari.

Like he said, the guy was signed up to attempt it, but ended up being a no show.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Ah, another "have to go to a certain website and click around vulnerability". This isn't a security flaw, this is stupidity of the end user. You can wipe out your HDD if you want to.

Please educate yourself. Denial is not a good place to inhabit if you care about your banking details.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Žalgiris;12106879 said:
Which is media coverage and sitting on a security hole for months in order to get money instead of reporting it. Pathetis if you ask me.

IMO, what should happen is Apple (and Microsoft) should offer a $100K bounty for every security hole found in in their products. That would ensure timely reporting of problems and give people a real incentive to to find every last exploit. Of course, companies won't do that because none of them really take security that seriously and all the rhetoric about how they care is just that

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
really. I more see post like as blind fanboys putting their head in the sand and screaming NOT HAPPENING.

How many years in a row is this that OSX is the first to fall.
I will say I am glad Apple is starting to wise up and reach out to Devs and groups like this for Lion. It seems Apple has finally figured out that its "security by obscurity" is going to start failing in soon and they are taking what time they have left to really clean itself up.
Reason "security by obscurity" is going to start failing is Apple is becoming more popular gaining market share and it knows is iOS is going to start being targeted in larger numbers which could have a direct effect on OSX being targeted.

I've not seen any posts like the head in the sand analogy you made.

OSX will most likely fail first every year because they test OSX first every year...

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
It's about time Apple realizes that security is an issue that can't be neglected any longer. iOS may be an improvement, but OS X, Safari, iTunes, Quicktime and other Apple products were developed with security as a mere aftertought, with the result that they are easy targets. Exploit protection, randomizing of address space, sandboxes? Apple apparently never heard of them, or implemented them very poorly.
Add to that the fact that Apple is a sloth when it comes to responding to threats in a timely manner. It's a joke really. They advertise their platform as being virus-free, but the reason why that is correct is, ironically, that nobody bought Apple software until recently.

The only thing that still saves Apple is that the target is still rather small. It may be easier to write an exploit for Apple software, but it's still much more profitable to attack Windows. The time might come rather soon when this no longer holds, and I sincerely hope that until then Apple will have implemented the same high standards that are now in place at Microsoft and Google. So that they can sell software which is actually safe(r) and not just the empty promise.

Snow Leopard did nothing about security, we'll have to see if that changes with Lion.

To those who say, that it took 1-2 weeks to write that exploit and see that as some kind of apology: what exactly is your point? That it still takes some expertise to do it? Well that can be said about any programming near the OS kernel. Anyone who can write a full-blown device driver will be able to write an exploit after a basic introduction. It's not rocket science. There are books about it. There is a huge number of people with the qualification, which are either unemployed or living in a country with low income. For them 1-2 weeks is nothing and writing exploits presents itself to them as a good way to make a lot of money.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
It's another reason not to have admin rights on your normal login (although I'm not sure how many people actually follow that basic advice)
It would be nice if OSs did this automatically versus relying on the users to do this after the fact...

IMO, what should happen is Apple (and Microsoft) should offer a $100K bounty for every security hole found in in their products. That would ensure timely reporting of problems and give people a real incentive to to find every last hole. Of course, companies won't do that because none of them really take security that seriously and all the rhetoric about how they care is just that
I though MS does offer money for security holes (and maybe fixes). Is that not true? I am pretty sure Google does...

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
The guy that won was geared up for a few months hoping Apple wouldn't patch it prior to his execution. It was all ready for him when he arrived. It is unfortunate that Apple does not take Safari exploits as serious as it should given browsers are the usual weak point in an OS' security.

SwissMac2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Switzerland
Faulty contest

Apple fixed this bug before the contest but Pwn2Own ran an unpatched, unfixed version of Safari with a known bug. Big deal. Why not install Windows 95 on the Dell, and Red Hat 2 on the HP to make the contest really up to date?

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Your analogy is stupid. Either you have no concept of how skilled these guys are, or you're too blinkered to think straight.

Really? You find a hole - you report it. What's stupid about that? These holes aren't so easy to find that you can hack browser on the fly, so preparations must be made. Means this is intentional: find a bug and sit on it for months for fame and money. To me it's pathetic. It doesn't help to secure software at all, just makes someones twitter account more popular.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Perhaps it took five seconds to implement, but it's not like it was the first time these hackers saw a MBA and Safari.

I'm sure there were dozens or hundreds of hours worth of research and coding in order for these guys to get to the point of being able to implement their hack.

I remain unconcerned.

So because it took 2 weeks to discover the hole and find an exploit it?

If your Mac ever gets hijacked in an instant because you were linked to a certain website you can take solace in the fact the exploit took a few weeks to write.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I though MS does offer money for security holes (and maybe fixes). Is that not true? I am pretty sure Google does...

I think they might offer some bounty (or at least used to), but I'm suggesting a very large amount of cash: If they offered $100K (or even $1M) per exploit it would cost them tens of millions in the first year but would vastly reduce the number of holes over time as people would have a real incentive to find them and companies would have a real incentive not to release software with huge gaping holes in it.

What always annoys me about these things is that if a few (admittedly talented) hackers can find these holes with nothing more than a fuzzer, then why can't huge companies with vast resources use the same techniques to find the holes before they release it into the wild? The only logical reason is that they don't really care about security exploits as much as they care about getting shiny new features out into the wild

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.