Researching 1 vs. 2 vs. Galaxy et. al.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by x986, Dec 26, 2011.

1. x986 macrumors regular

I just spent a few restful "day after Xmas" hours reclining and researching the above. I have decided on a 2 (if I can steal one), but one thing wasn't mentioned in the face-off. That is the amount of info available on the Apple forums vs. Android forums. If you have an "i" question, you get probably more answers than you want in a short time. Grass may grow between your toes before you get an Android question answered, and then you will probably get so few answers that you can't determine which person knows what he/she is talking about.

2. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Since you've done your research, would you mind sharing what pushed you towards the iPad 2? I've been debating whether I should get Apple's next (iPad 3?) or a Galaxy Tab 10.1. My main issue is that I haven't had either an iPad or Galaxy in my hands for enough time to get a real feel...

3. x986 thread starter macrumors regular

I am underwhelmed by the iPhone 4s, and I spent a month testdriving an LTE Android phone. (I'm getting a 4s today.) I believe the Android marketplace is full of bugs, viruses, and other evil creatures, and I don't want to spend the time to keep my tablet safe.

4. x986 thread starter macrumors regular

In case you doubt my conclusion, just check the "What's the best option for Wi-Fi" thread.

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Heheh! The first impression with an iOS device may be negative at the beginning. It happened to me when I bough my iPad 1. I hated it for about a week, then I suddenly started to love it more and more. And even now, I still do love it. (of course, I would get the iPad 2 but I'll wait for the iPad 3 as I feel it may come out soon (optimistic).

6. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Thanks for the reply! I did notice once while using a Nokia N8 and a Galaxy S2 that the scrolling and such wasn't quite as smooth. I think I'll go for an iPad, mostly because of the compatibility with the devices I already own. Thanks again!

7. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I've used a few Android tablets as well as the iPad 2 and it really comes down to personal preference. The iPad is smoother, more responsive and has more(and better) apps, but I find it inadequate for productivity due to no file system access and iTunes reliance. Meanwhile Android is more of a Wild West where everything goes, and you can customize your tablet to your heart's content. It's also superior for work since you can easily download and open any file imaginable, which can't be done with the iPad.

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

Most of this is true however no tablet is great for work and I would much rather be hooked with iTunes than with the really horrible Kies software Samsung makes you use. Unlike every oth android device the galaxy won't mount as a drive to your desktop on a Mac which is very irritating. I have used all three tablets and without question the iPad 2 is the best. The galaxy tab is not a refined experience, the app selection sucks and it doesn't even have a descent web browser available for it. Also it will not get software updates in a timely manner because Samsung feels the need to skin everything with their useless touch wiz ui