Resell Apple Care?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kinkster, Jan 13, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Title pretty much says it all. My dad bought apple care for his macbook round about September, and never got around to registering it.

Can he just put it up on eBay or is it tied to his machine?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If he has never registered it, then he can sell it just fine.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

AppleCare is only tied to a machine once it has been registered. In that case, it can be transferred to a new owner if the machine is sold.

Was the AppleCare purchased at the same time as the computer? If you purchased it from Apple at the same time, it is likely registered automatically and therefore, tied to the computer. You can check the warranty status of the computer here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

As r.j.s. said, if it is unregistered, your dad can sell it.

4. Patillac macrumors member

Patillac

I saw there are quite a few people selling Apple Care on eBay, and at a much cheaper rate. Are these legit?? Or do ALL of them have a similar situation as the OP??

I'm getting ready to get a new iMac and shoot, if I can save $100 going through eBay I'd much rather do that, I just don't want to need the service 2 years down the road only to found out I got duped by some punk:eek:

5. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I am sure that some fakes exist. but a lot of them are legit. you register and you get a proof of coverage from apple.

6. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks rdowns =)

I checked and it only said it's covered by the limited warranty, so that's good.

7. Patillac macrumors member

Patillac

Wow, It makes me curious where (or how) they get their hands on these. I'm sure they have their ways, and if their legit than it's all great, but damn $100+ off sure is a lot! Not that I'll complain :D