Resell Value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ProwlingTiger, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

What, out of curiosity, is the resell value for say a current Macbook, 2.4ghz white? Anyone have experience buying or selling used? I'm wondering if I buy one now, as I kind of need to, and resell it when the new revision comes out, how much a loss I'd incur.

Some topic said I'd retain 85% on Mac Pros, but I dont know if that applies to Macbooks too.

-Dan

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

If you want maximum resale value, then I recommend an Apple refurb. They come minty fresh and have full 1 year AppleCare, both great attributes for sale on EBay.

I bought a refurb MacBook a year and a half ago for $800, then later re-sold it on EBay (with larger HD and some accessories) for $860! So I came pretty close to 100% resale, close enough to me to consider it a wash.

3. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

I would say that Macbook Pros have the the worst resale value of all the Macs. Look at the refurbished ones that have dropped in price - from 2500 to 1649. That's a hit not normally seen on other machines.

Here's my personal observation from worst resale to best:

MBP
    iMac
    MP
    MacMini
    MB

4. showtime macrumors 6502

Macbooks hold their resale value very well. If you need to purchase one to use temporarily, I agree with purchasing a refurb. With a little bit of effort, you'll be able to get back close to what you paid for. Just upgrade the ram and it'll attract many buyers.

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

If you buy a new one you will lose over $200. That's because I can get a refurb for retail less $200. If you buy the refurb for say $200 off, you could resale it for $300 off and only loose $100.

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

well as far as dollar amount goes mac minis definitely have better resale value than MB's, not sure for percentage. Minis are weird on ebay, sometimes used ones sell for more than new, and that was especially the case when intel was first released, G4 minis typically sold for $100 more than the intel ones.