Reselling Best Buy iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awaken470, Oct 27, 2017.

1. awaken470 macrumors newbie

Hi boys,

I preordered the iPhone X Verizon model from Best Buy. If I was to sell the unopened box on Craigslist how does the buyer go about activating the phone to make sure it’s unlocked ?

Also say if the buyer activates with ATT sim, it would be locked to the ATT carrier until ATT unlocks it then it can be used on a CDMA network such as Sprint/Verizon correct?

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

ATT phones cant be used on CDMA. iPhone X ATT model is GSM only.

3. awaken470 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the Verizon model from Best Buy, which to my understanding supports both GSM and CDMA

4. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Oridus

You'd be correct. Verizon iPhones since at least the iPhone 5 can be used on AT&T. I believe Verizon phones are also natively unlocked. All they would need to do would be put their sim card into it and they'd be good to go. It would not lock to AT&T. Only the sim free versions will lock to the carrier of choice the first time around, and then an unlock would then have to be requested if my memory serves me correctly.

5. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

They'll have to activate the phone with a Verizon sim card, otherwise it'll be locked to ATT

6. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

If it's unlocked you can just swap out sims from various carriers.

I've bought sealed phones off of craigslist and have told the seller ahead of time that I wouldn't buy it unless I could prove it's unlocked which meant opening up the box.