Reselling CS4?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mynewromantica, Jun 14, 2010.

1. mynewromantica macrumors regular

I have Adobe CS4 and I am looking to get rid of it on eBay. The problem is that I do not have any CDs as I purchased the downloadable copy. Also, it is the educational version.

Is it even plausible that this would sell on eBay, if so, how much could I reasonably expect for it? And is it even legal to resell the educational versions.

2. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Nope, can't legally resell AFAIK unless you re-sell to a student and even then its a very dark grey area since you have to unregister with Adobe if the software was activated...

I wouldn't...especially with activation and no CDs etc.

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

From Adobe KB (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/195/tn_19592.html)

If you purchase a completely new license, rather than upgrade your old software, you are permitted to transfer your old license, as long as you did not purchase the original license in connection with a volume licensing arrangement.

From Adobe Photoshop CS4 EULA Section 4.6 (http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-combined-20080623_1026.pdf)

YOU MAY NOT TRANSFER EDUCATION, PRE-
    RELEASE, OR NOT FOR RESALE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE

Basically you are not allowed to sell it or even give it away.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Check to see if you have a "Student and Teacher" edition or an Academic version.

Because they are not the same; the Academic version has the same license as the retail version albeit it's cheaper than retail (but still a lot more expensive than the Student Teacher version).

You can upgrade the Academic version to a full copy (CS4—>CS5), so in that sense you should be able to sell it. But you would need to verify the other party is a student or educator.

With the other edition, you aren't allowed to sell it.