Reselling Ink Cartridges?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SuperAcer79, Nov 20, 2008.

1. SuperAcer79 macrumors member

I sometimes come across brand new sealed genuine HP ink cartridges at second hand stores (most often #'s 96,97,21,22,57) that have expiration dates of various months in 2007 and 2008. Would it be frugal to buy them for $4 each and try to resell them online or is there not much resale profit in reselling ink cartridges?

I have an HP printer that uses the #78 and #45 ink cartridges and though I rarely see new/sealed expired ones in second hand stores for some reason (people must have good luck with the printers they are for) I have purchased ink that expired a year ago and worked fine, so I'm thinking others would too.

Fore some reason I see the HP #21,22,57,58,96,97 a lot.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You'd have to disclose that they expired, in which case I doubt you'd find many customers.

3. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'd definitely disclose they were expired. It's only ethical. I guess most people assume that expired means no good.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

When you can buy a printer for less than it takes to replace the cartridges I don't think many people are worried about finding cartridges that work with their old printers. Combine that with the expired nature and I would say your potential market is so small you would need a microscope to find it.