Reselling iPhone 4S- have to open box first?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexbates, Oct 14, 2011.

1. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I searched and couldn't find anything. I ordered a AT&T 4S on October 7 through the AT&T website (on a new 2 year contract) and it is scheduled for delivery today. I am planning to re-sell it on eBay later today, as my current phone is working just fine and I would rather have the extra money for now.

My question is am I going to have to open the box and activate it before reselling it? Or do I only need to call AT&T? There are many sealed boxes on eBay, so I figured that nothing would be required.

Thanks in advance.

2. oshia86 macrumors regular

Open, then switch out iPhone for a deck of cards. That's what you planned to do anyway, wasn't it?

3. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Does anyone have a serious answer? I don't want to open the box if possible.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

If its not opened, then its not activated. I don't think you have any reason to open it. Good luck. eBay is a crapshoot: I sold an iPad2 when people were getting thousands. What did I get? $20 more than I paid. Craigslist may be a better option.

5. r2b2007 macrumors regular

If my experience with an unopened ipad 3G is worth anything you either need to talk to ATT to get them to remotely remove your information that they pre program in or you will see a bill. The other option is to open and remove the SIM. I followed ATT instructions without opening my ipad 3G which was an unwanted gift that I sold and surprise 2 months later I was getting bills for 3G service. In the end ATT took care of it for me but it took time and effort...

6. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

you have to open it, but you can still list as new on ebay or wherever you plan on selling. just say opened ONLY to activate. EVERYBODY else selling has to do the same thing.

7. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Thank you for you responses. :) Good thing I asked before selling it with a SIM inside. I'll open it, remove the SIM, and maybe mess around with Siri.

I bought the 32GB, so if I resell it for $750-800 (minus fees), that's still pretty good profit.