Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
So I'm reselling my early 2011 Macbook Pro and the buyer asked me to put a clean install of Lion and iLife on it. I'd like to also update all the apps to the latest version though so when he gets it it's all ready to go. However, doing all of that requires making a user account after installing Lion.

I'd like to install Lion, install all the updates, and install iLife and any apps he would like preinstalled, and then remove my user account and give a clean "user creation" setup screen like you get right after a clean install. The one that lets you decide on the language and set up iCloud etc.

How can I do this?

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Boot into Single-User mode. Hold down Command-S on startup. And then type this:

mount -uw /
rm var/db/dslocal/nodes/default/users/<shortname>.plist
rm -r users/<shortname>
rm var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot

Where <shortname> is the name of the existing user account.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Boot into Single-User mode. Hold down Command-S on startup. And then type this:

mount -uw /
rm var/db/dslocal/nodes/default/users/<shortname>.plist
rm -r users/<shortname>
rm var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot

Where <shortname> is the name of the existing user account.

Not in Lion, it'll freeze on startup if you just delete the .AppleSetupDone file.

Change that line to "mv /var/db/.AppleSetupDone /var/db/.RunLanguageChooserToo" to avoid that problem.

OP, do you feel comfortable working in Single User Mode? If not, then just set up a user called "test" or something, and let them create a user without trying to get it back to the Setup Assistant.

jW

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
Not in Lion, it'll freeze on startup if you just delete the .AppleSetupDone file.

Change that line to "mv /var/db/.AppleSetupDone /var/db/.RunLanguageChooserToo" to avoid that problem.

OP, do you feel comfortable working in Single User Mode? If not, then just set up a user called "test" or something, and let them create a user without trying to get it back to the Setup Assistant.

jW

I have no problem going into single user mode. Will this work, then?

Also, any chance this will work in Mountain Lion too? Chances are I won't be selling it until the end of the week, so there may be time to install Mountain Lion instead. :)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The real problem here is that purchases from the Mac App Store, which may also include the OS, are linked to an AppleID, which is linked to you.
So, if you are using your own AppleID to update apps and install Lion, then that will make it impossible for him to update the apps later unless you give him your password for your Apple account (which would mean he could buy stuff on your credit card).

Also, technically, it's against the terms of the Apple licence. There may well be some problems using the apps if you remove the AppleID data completely from the machine. I'm not sure.

In the old days, you would simply supply the original disks and subsequent OS installers with the Mac, and you were golden.

I can't remember whether Lion-ready Macs came with a USB stick, or whether you're just supposed to do Internet Recovery installation.

My advice is not to install anything that you cannot pass the entire legal ownership onwards. It won't cost him much to buy iLife himself from the MAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.