Reselling my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dnoph, Jun 15, 2015.

1. dnoph macrumors member

I have a 15" MacBook Pro that I've used for photo and video editing for the past few years. I bought it new back in 2010 with the top of the line i7 processor at the time.

Now I'm looking to get either a new MacBook Pro or an iMac, but I can't justify keeping my old MacBook Pro around to collect dust. I've heard I can still get good money for my laptop.

I do have nice programs on there like Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc., but I think I'd have to wipe the whole hard drive clean when I resell it just to make sure I don't have any personal information on it.

What's the best way to sell my used laptop?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Forget about selling it here unless you want to let it go for real cheap. Most forum members here are above average users and know their stuff and the value of Macs. Chances of someone here buying a 2010 machine are low unless it was cheap.

Best bet is ebay in my opinion. Even with the high selling fees. Sometimes it is worth it for an older machine like yours. Can't beat the exposure you get with ebay.

4. dnoph thread starter macrumors member

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Research what other models that are identical to yours are selling for and price yours accordingly based on its condition.

6. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Here are some links to sites that might be helpful:

http://www.mac2sell.net

http://www.everymac.com (once you find your model scroll to the bottom of the page to get an estimated current price)

Also check out Apple refurb prices, just to give you an idea of what equipment is being sold for.

Another option would be to think about upgrading the system. A SSD will totally breathe new life into it.

7. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I sell all of my computers on Ebay with pretty good success. I stay as far away from Craigslist as possible, it's full of cheap *******s that have no interest in buying anything.

8. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

I sold my two "old" MacBooks on eBay. First one as auction and the second as fixed price. Worked fine with me.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I go with craigslist, I'm tired of the BS you put up with on eBay.

10. dnoph thread starter macrumors member

11. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

Im now thinking of selling mine and would only use eBay. Going to look there now also for pricing ideas

12. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

Just looked and its not worth me selling 2nd hand for the money on eBay they appear to be fetching. Late 2011 15" MBP.

13. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Just remember that you will have to pay 10% seller fee, 3% paypal fee, and whatever the shipping cost.

14. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

Decided to give it to my daughter and my new one has already been dispatched and will be here Monday

15. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I've had good experience selling my old laptops on Craigslist. Although you do have to price it right to find a motivated buyer. CL will always profit you more than eBay/paypal including less headache.

Take good photos and have a good paragraph or two.
    Goodluck

16. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I guess you missed the post before yours? He is no longer selling it. He gave it to his daughter.

17. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

18. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

I find Facebook good also for selling stuff. I'm not in any Mac or Apple groups on there but am for other stuff and they seem to work well also.