Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnoph

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
I have a 15" MacBook Pro that I've used for photo and video editing for the past few years. I bought it new back in 2010 with the top of the line i7 processor at the time.

Now I'm looking to get either a new MacBook Pro or an iMac, but I can't justify keeping my old MacBook Pro around to collect dust. I've heard I can still get good money for my laptop.

I do have nice programs on there like Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc., but I think I'd have to wipe the whole hard drive clean when I resell it just to make sure I don't have any personal information on it.

What's the best way to sell my used laptop?

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Forget about selling it here unless you want to let it go for real cheap. Most forum members here are above average users and know their stuff and the value of Macs. Chances of someone here buying a 2010 machine are low unless it was cheap.

Best bet is ebay in my opinion. Even with the high selling fees. Sometimes it is worth it for an older machine like yours. Can't beat the exposure you get with ebay.

JoePa2624

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
AZ
I sell all of my computers on Ebay with pretty good success. I stay as far away from Craigslist as possible, it's full of cheap *******s that have no interest in buying anything.

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
I sold my two "old" MacBooks on eBay. First one as auction and the second as fixed price. Worked fine with me.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Just looked and its not worth me selling 2nd hand for the money on eBay they appear to be fetching. Late 2011 15" MBP.

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
I've had good experience selling my old laptops on Craigslist. Although you do have to price it right to find a motivated buyer. CL will always profit you more than eBay/paypal including less headache.

Take good photos and have a good paragraph or two.
Goodluck

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I find Facebook good also for selling stuff. I'm not in any Mac or Apple groups on there but am for other stuff and they seem to work well also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.