Reselling to PowerMax

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tills24, May 11, 2010.

1. tills24 macrumors member

I'll start with saying I'm not sure if this is the proper subforum for this question.

But I am going to upgrade to a MBP once the back to school event begins and am going to sell my late 06 MB. I got a quote on it from PowerMax, and it seems like a painless way to sell it. No ebay fees, no risk of CraigsList spam or fraud. But has anyone had experience with selling to PowerMax in the past, and could give advice? How long does it take to get the check? Would I be likely to get more from CraigsList?

The specs for it at 2.0 ghx, 2 gb ram, 160 gb hd.

2. ANIM8R macrumors member

I've been dealing with Gary Mead at PowerMax for about the last year or so. They gave me a solid trade in value (IMO) for a four year old PowerMac G5 Quad and I've been sitting on the trade in value money ever since.

I'm STILL waiting for Mac Pro updates. So my money will just continue to wait for me. The credit lasts until you use it.

Trust is a two way street with this company. They trust you to send the product and you have to trust them to give you your credit.

I had them ship me a PowerMac box to ship mine over in (Florida to Oregon, I wasn't going to take any chances on the PowerMac getting damaged before it got there) and I followed it's progress all the way there.

It took about a month or so for them to receive it and process it. If you buy something right away they'll credit your credit card the amount you are owed once your machine is cleared. Otherwise it just goes into an account and they wait for you to use it.

The pro's are: you'll get your full amount and they don't charge tax on their products, plus shipping is usually free.

The con's are: it's credit with them, not cash in hand as it would be if you sold it locally. So you HAVE to use it with them again. Plus they sell at retail prices which means you can't use your student discount (per my knowledge) if you were eligible in the first place.

You might get more by selling it locally. I just listed my MBP on my Facebook page and had three offers in an hour. People are hungry for Macs. Try to sell it locally for $100 more than PowerMax was offering. You never know. : )

Otherwise, do not be afraid to deal with this company. Communication is fast and they are very professional. I can't wait to use my credit towards a new Mac Pro from them!

Edit: I just read over this and I sound like an advertisement. LOL, I do not work for these guys, but I do recommend them!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PowerMax doesn't sell your Mac for you and they won't buy it. They only take Macs as trade-in when you buy a computer from them.

4. rkuntze macrumors member

Don't deal with PowerMax

I have dealt with PowerMax in the past and have even traded in two powerbooks over the year. The problem that I had on both occasions was: They high balled you on their quote, then they nit picked it apart with faults. After all they were used powerbooks. They reduced the amount of the quote for the macbook by what they said it would cost to repair. However they quoted you wholesale for the value of the macbook and retail for the costs to repair it. The first time they did it pre powerbook pro I let it slip. The second time it was with one of the first powerbook pro's I challenged them and they never responded. This was after I had order and paid for a new BTO (Built To Order) Mac Powerbook Pro from them. That was the last time I ever ordered anything from them. I've bought from Apple's Education Store ever since. The discount usually covers sale tax and they have always offered free shipping on what I have ordered. I've done better selling my used equipment to either Friends and on Ebay. You get the cash and you don't have to worry about using the credit at PowerMax.

5. iscripter macrumors member

iscripter

Powermax trade-in

I have had 2 experiences with Powermax one very good and the other not. They have always given me what they quoted for the trade-in value but that is probably because I accurately describe my trade-in and the condition that it is in.

My bad experience with them was for a trade-in of a iPod classic so I could get a newer iPod with a larger capacity. I shipped them my iPod in October 2009 and did not receive my Powermax credit until January 2010. By this time I couldn't stand being without a iPod anymore so I wound up buying one from my local BestBuy. I don't know if my delayed credit was because of the busy holiday season or something else. But I won't be doing business with them anymore.

I am going to stick to reselling my used Apple gear on Ebay. You get your money much faster and it is less headache.