Reservations about buying an iPod Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jonnymorris, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jonnymorris macrumors member

OK, having been hounded off the Apple Discussion forums for speculating (got to speculate to accumulate!) I shall try asking the same basic question here...

Does anyone have a clue when (if) Apple are likely to fix some of the major issues people are experiencing when using wi-fi and Apps? It seems that 2.2 / 2.21 update has caused quite a few headaches for people, things that were working fine have suddenly gone wonky. For example, with Apps after synching they no longer work until one downloads any free app from the iTunes store, then they magically work again (or something along those lines). I don't want to have to download a random app every time I synch, that's just dumb! Among other problems which seem to affect people at random.

Until I see some sort of an update or fix (not work-around) for these annoying problems I'm reluctant to spend my hard-earned cash, although I really would like to get an iPod Touch it would not be for iTunes or movies so the Apps and wi-fi problems are top of my list right now.

Thanks for any advice!

Also, my nearest Apple Store is some 150 miles away (Manchester) so it wouldn't be like I could just pop in for a replacement or advice, I'd have to post at my expense which is something I want to avoid.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The only thing I've heard that requires people to download a random free app is when they want to create an iTunes account wihtout a credit card, and then it only needs to be done once.

I don't know where you've heard about this supposed major problems with 2.2, but as far as I know, 2.2 and 2.2.1 are stable, and I haven't read too many people complaining of problems.

3. petes63 macrumors newbie

Downloaded dozens of Apps in 2.2 and 2.2.1. Never had any problems what so ever.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I haven't heard of or seen any of the issues every before. You have to remember that internet discussions will personify issues, so it isn't very likely you will have these issues if you buy one. Also, even if you do, I'm sure Apple is eventually working on a fix.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Surely you can buy it at a local store and return it for a full refund if you have issues? The UK consumer laws are crazy on the side of consumers...

6. jonnymorris thread starter macrumors member

The Apple Discussion forums are peppered with people who have problems with syncing and apps, for some it only started after they installed the latest update (2.2.1). While I know there may be a certain amount of users who get things wrong or may have something else wrong that causes their problems, such a closed device as an iPod should be fool-proof and these problems should just never happen no matter what (unless they have tampered with it). I can't believe they're all crying wolf.

There are other reported problems that concern me too, many of which are present on these forums as well as the Apple ones (nobody can deny that at least some of these problems are real and unsolved for the people it affects). Question is, do I ignore all of these potential hazards and risk buying something that might turn out to be more trouble than it's worth, or wait to see what the next update will bring? It is certainly not an essential purchase for me.

7. jonnymorris thread starter macrumors member

Apple have not fixed the problem with my Airport internet sharing - I have to turn off Airport and turn it on again before my MacBook can connect to it, a hassle that I should not have to do every time. I'm sure this problem has been around for quite some time.

They also have not sorted out the awkwardly long timeout period OS X gives to external devices when they stop responding or go to sleep and never wake up. I have experienced this with weak external hard drives where the interface (firewire or USB) somehow just loses it's connection to the computer and I'm left with a hung Finder; this should not happen, and Apple have yet to fix it.

So, my point is that waiting for Apple to fix a problem may result in a very long or even indefinite wait. I live with these problems on my Macs because I have little choice - I detest Windows but I need a modern computer, and the rest of the Mac experience is pretty good. However, if I was only ever allowed to download software for my Mac from the Apple Downloads website and that system went wonky, well I certainly would not be impressed!

8. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

You don't need a reservation to buy an iPod Touch. Just go into the store and buy it.[​IMG]

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, modern computer systems are complex (and the iphone/touch is a complex computer system), so nothing is ever going to be perfectly problem-free. Like you said, you put up with the quirks of the Mac because you need it, and I put up with the quirks of the Touch because I like it, and the inconveniences of occasional quirks outweighs the pleasure I get out of the device. Sure, some people have experienced major problems, but I don't think Apple would be selling so many Touches as it is if that were the majority of user experiences.

As for downloading from only one source, yeah, but when that source contains over 20,000 apps, there's no way anyone can feel restricted. I don't think anyone can even try all 20,000 apps in their entire lifetime. ;)