Reservations up for grabs tomorow? (June 25th)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UnknownMacNoob, Jun 24, 2010.

1. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

I just realized instead of waiting for the 29th to go to the ATAT store (because I have to swap out my 3GS) I can use another lines upgrade for the iPhone 4 (its my sisters, and I'm going to camp out on the 29th and swap my 3GS for her so its all good). Soooo I was wondering if the reservations for today would be available tomorrow, or if they started selling them today at a certain time. Also when using another lines upgrade, do you have to do anything special, or just make sure you are able to make changes on the account? (AKA authorized user, blah blah blah)

2. spmojo macrumors member

My Apple store said there holding all reservations until 9 tonight. If they didn't pick it up, there free for the rest of us! :D

3. UnknownMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

Thought so. Gonna get to Apple around 530ish tomorrow. Dont wanna go too crazy.

4. dakotaiphone macrumors newbie

So am I, I'll be a the Louisville, KY Apple store.

5. UnknownMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

Just had a thought, my sister doesn't have an iPhone, will this matter if I use her upgrade? And will by some stupid rule will this mess up my unlimited data?

6. thedge18 macrumors member

From what I understand You can use her upgrade as long as she is on the same plan as you are (a family plan, for example. – this is EXACTLY what I plan on doing) What they'll do is put her number on the new iPhone, thereby rendering her current phone inactive. Then, you have to go to ATT to have them switch the numbers, so your unlimited plan should still stand. The only question is whether or not you'll have to commit to a new data plan for her number. That I'm not sure of.

7. inck243 macrumors member

Hello my Friends,

I did this today to get my iPhone.

I was not eligible for an upgrade but my dad's line was. We are on a family plan.

I used his upgrade, got the phone and they gave me a new sim card that is programed to my dad's number.

I took those 2 things to AT&T and they made me buy a new sim card for my phone line and put it in the iPhone 4. I still keep my unlimited data, no issues there. My ATT store had a "get a free sim card if you buy an accessory worth $15.00 or more" deal so I just bought an AUX jack for $20 and got the sim card instead of paying $15 and getting just the sim.

Then, she gave me one more sim card to put back in my dad's phone, (since the micro sim that they gave me at apple won't work with his generic phone) and I need to call AT&T and have them activate that sim to my dad's phone's serial number. There is no etf to take off the data from his line, and my dad just has a normal phone so you basically are just giving your sister a new sim card. Her phone will not work once they process the upgrade so it's probably best that she will be there with you to get it back up and working again.

So if you are on a family plan and you are going to use her upgrade, make sure that you bring both of your phones so they can figure what the serial number is and activate it right there for you. Also, I am an authorized user on the account and I had no issues. You just need to know the last 4 of the account holder's social.

8. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

So you are suggesting that we should go to the Apple store first thing tomorrow morning to get any left overs from the reserve pile? I would think they would hold those for people who waited today, didn't get a phone and got on the second list. My store was taking a list for the first available.

9. UnknownMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

Bringing my sisters phone to the store is only to ease the process correct? It's not necessary for hers to be there when I purchase/activate the phone?

10. inck243 macrumors member

right it's not that important... instead of them re activating her phone at the store, you will just need to call ATT and give them the IMEI number and they will make it work.

Essentially what they are doing is de activating your sister's current sim card and replacing it with the one that they give you at the apple store. But, you can't use the sim card that they give you at apple or else your phone number will now be her phone number. So, they switch it back to what it was at ATT and in the process they give you each a new sim card. The one that the apple store gave you is useless so you can just throw that one out.

11. UnknownMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

Alright. Well I am an authorized user and I got my brother in laws last 4 social just incase. Goodluck to anyone else trying to get the reserves that didt get picked up.

12. babby macrumors member

A few left

I showed up tonight at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Il right at closing. They took every last person who was still in line. I was right near the end and got in about an hour after closing. There were still 30 or so phones left behind the genius bar when i left and no more phones were being sold after that. These were basically reservations not claimed today. Get there early enough and you might be able to snag one.

13. thedge18 macrumors member

On AT&T's website, it says the primary account holder must be present at apple stores. inck243, can you confirm that authorised users are allowed to buy the phone from the Apple Store? Thanks

14. inck243 macrumors member

yes. 100% - I am not the account holder, and I was able to buy the iPhone at the store yesterday.

I am an "authorized user" but they still asked me for the last 4 of the account holder's social.

15. Phanatical macrumors newbie

I too am an authorized user who was allowed to purchase the phone, all I needed was the primary's SSN.

In regards to reservations, my Apple (Cherry Hill Mall, Cherry Hill NJ) held all of yesterday's over until today. They said they had so many reservations they couldn't get to everyone yesterday, and they would extend the reservations for today. At least 300 people left to go back today. I waited it out, and since they all left, went right to the front of the line to pick mine up. :D

So at least today in Cherry Hill, there are no reservations up for grabs. Tomorrow may be a different story.

16. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I got to the my Apple Store at about 6PM (after work) and the reserve line was still crazy long. Because they were not sure they could get through everyone by 9PM, they offered a claim check that would allow for the phone to be held until close of business tonight. So, I will drop by again tonight and see things go. If for some reason I don't get one, I will just order.