Reserve Domain --how do i?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by whyrichard, Nov 17, 2007.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello!

I want to url's. I want my own websites. how do i get started?

the first step is to reserve my url. how do i do that?

is a url such as "www.t.e.s.t.com" --does that make sense?

i am a complete newb! please spell things out....

thanks,
    r.

2. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

1. goto godaddy.com
    2. type what you want
    3. input credit card number
    4. ????
    5. Profit!

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

thank you! did just that. (though not yet any profit)

i now have a few domains registered on godaddy.

-how do i get my 'deluxe' email to work? to have the address xxxx@mydomainname.com work?

-once i have a website designed, and ready for upload.... how do i do that? i need a server to upload?

r.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

OK you brought the domain name. You can choose to have all email that goes to xxxx@yourdoman redirected to your current email address. This should be possible without spending any more money. Do this in your domain control page - this is a private web page on GoDaddy. GoDaddy should have sent you an email explaining how to access your domain control page. You usually need a username and password to access it.

If you want to go a bit further and have a website, then that means spending a bit more money. You already have bought the domain name, now you need a host, ie a house for it.

For you, the cheapest GoDaddy hosting plan should be ok. You can now create a website with godaddy site building tools (basic) or make it on your computer with iweb or dreamweaver. To upload, you need a FTP program which transfers the site file to the host server. Dreamweaver has one built in, iweb doesn't. Details of the godaddy ftp host will be in the email you receive when you buy a hosting account.

You can also now set up email so that you can send and receive email from xxx@yourdomain. Create the mailbox on godaddy using your website control panel (again, details will be in the email they send you) then set the mail program on your home computer to receive (and maybe send) email through godaddy for that particular email address.

I'm leaving out a lot here, but try reading the online help at godaddy, it will explain a lot.