Reserve Online With Upgrade Program, Pay Outright When Picking Up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Y2JDMBFAN, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

Can I reserve say a Verizon 7+ using the Upgrade Program at the Apple Store, but end up just paying in full instead when I go in to pick it up?

2. melmar3 macrumors newbie

melmar3

NOPE

3. domineus macrumors regular

yes

I did exactly that when they didn't find my "verizon" account that I don't have
    It was at the chicago apple store

4. tjhassan macrumors member

I heard people have issues with this, although I've done it twice. Once a few days after launch no problem.

And just did it today after apple changed the verbiage that you must be an existing upgrade program customer to do this. The associate even asked me, are you still interested in the upgrade program or do you want to pay full price. I said full price!

5. 1981d, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

1981d macrumors regular

Why not just buy it full price through the app and select in store pickup?

6. NIKKG macrumors regular

NIKKG

I did that, I got 2 Verizon 128gb matte blacks. I would reserve it online for the upgrade program and buy it in full once I get there. Had no problem with it.

7. 1981d macrumors regular

I have heard that Apple closed this loophole. But you can still buy it online or through the app for full price and select in store pick up. That worked for me.

8. northofnowhere macrumors member

I did this just yesterday, and I didn't pay full price. The store rep just asked how I was planning on paying for the phone. I said using my AT&T Next upgrade. He didn't ask any other questions. Was in and out in 20 mins with my 256gb Black 7+.

9. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Yes you can. In fact they asked me how I want to pay when I used the upgrade program. I paid outright.

10. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Yup! I did that and asked the same question last week. Ended up with a Sprint, paid in full to use on T-Mobile. Went home and set it up, no issues.

11. 7roca7 macrumors member

7roca7

I did it on friday right before Apple put out their new Policy. Paid full price on Sprint 256gb Black Plus, but the associate had to ask the supervisor if it was ok. Not a problem. First thing i did before setting up was take out the sprint sim, and put in my AT&T GoPhone sim. Worked fine. Honestly the only thing i wanted was a Sprint or Verizon so i could use any carrier. I didn't want to be locked into any carrier.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Seems some stores are enforcing the new policy and others are still letting you pay in full. The only way to know is try :)

13. Shadowbech, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes You Can. I just did this today. I reserved a 7 Plus Verizon model 256 GB Black today as it looks like they have received shipment. I wasn't even an iUP customer. I asked the guy that I don't have the phone to trade in and he asked the manager and manager stated that it's how it is but when it comes to the transaction you can get out of the page and select "New Transaction". So I was able to buy the phone outright today. YMMV. Good luck.

*Yes the confirmation e-mail does state that you currently have to be enrolled in iUP but some salesperson aren't going to care.

Little off topic but as I was at the Apple store there was this one guy buying a bunch of iPhones 7 and 7 Plus (like literally 50 a day). I asked the sales person if he knew him and he said that this guy has been doing this since launch. WOW. Not sure what he does but clearly he must own his own shop to resell them...

14. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Did this yesterday. Reserved a 7 Plus / 256GB / Black / Verizon phone via the iPhone Upgrade Program (iUP) reservation link. Went to the store at my reservation time. The lady brought the phone from the back, asked me how I wanted to pay, and I paid in full with my credit card. The iUP wasn't even mentioned during the entire transaction.

15. desertrat23 macrumors member

Same thing ALMOST happened to me. I cancelled my preorder and while the Apple store rep was happy to let me use Next, it is taking up to 24-48 hours for AT&T to reverse the cancelled upgrade. I was pretty pissed!