Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I'll be honest,I get great battery life with the battery now. I mean,I guess this is great if I don't come home or near a place to charge for more than 17 hours. But so far so good.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Finally! Now I can preorder an accesory for the Apple Watch I dont even own, since im not resident in the 8 blessed countries to receive the Watch on Day 1. Seeing how things go, Ill probably get this band which is not even prototyped before I can get my hand on the Watch itself.

Its incredible for a company that earns 66% of its profits from sales overseas, only to lunch its newest product in 8 countries, which are not even its largest markets.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
It won't work. Look at the connector. Those of us who have our watches already know that the way to attach a strap is to slide it in. Straps won't slide with a big connector sticking out of them.

if only these guys had thought about that. :rolleyes:

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I wonder if all of the people who have posted "if you don't like the Apple watch then don't buy it" will apply the same logic here. For those saying one day battery is enough (funny how that attitude is now prevalent) surely you can understand how some people might want to extend that to two or three days, right?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just add a plastic case, a screen protector, and a plastic sleeve for the band, and it would be perfect. :D:rolleyes:

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
It won't work. Look at the connector. Those of us who have our watches already know that the way to attach a strap is to slide it in. Straps won't slide with a big connector sticking out of them.

Lol. This made me laugh. They have engineers who can extract info from a diagnostic post... Yet you think they didn't think of that? Especially since they have one in their hands now.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
From the iFixit report it seemed that removing the cover for the port was very difficult. How will this band work if the port is covered? Do they have a way to remove the cover easily so the band will work?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder if all of the people who have posted "if you don't like the Apple watch then don't buy it" will apply the same logic here. For those saying one day battery is enough (funny how that attitude is now prevalent) surely you can understand how some people might want to extend that to two or three days, right?

But how do we know this is legit, safe and won't be shut down by Apple? That port is covered for a reason. Even if it eventually gets opened up Apple will control what it can be used and there will be some sort of MFI like program associated with it. There's no way I would spend money on something that might not work, might not be safe and most likely will get shut down by Apple in a hurry.

----------

Lol. This made me laugh. They have engineers who can extract info from a diagnostic post... Yet you think they didn't think of that? Especially since they have one in their hands now.

Because removing the cover from this port is super easy? IMO this is nothing more than a pipe dream right now. The port is covered for a reason. Apple isn't going to let some 3rd party use it before they do.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
One day battery is enough .. what do you get with that band .. 2 days battery? no difference for me
It'll be nice to have a reserve battery, just in case a person is out late, or forgets to charge it.

We don't wear seat belts because we know we'll be in an accident. Heck, if I knew I was going to be in an accident, I wouldn't get in the car. We wear them, just in case there is one.

wildcat88

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
Because that would imply to users that the battery life is not sufficient, which in reality it is more than enough to get through a day.

Indeed, I have the 38mm Sport, and even with its notably smaller battery, I haven't run out of juice, except on the very first day when I played with it for hours on end.

This last weekend, I wore the watch for 14-16 hours each day, and even with several sessions of casually browsing the Instagram and Twitter apps (the only content apps I've found remotely interesting), and lots of notifications and time checks, I found the watch was still going strong when I went to bed.

I trust the battery life enough now that I took the battery life indicator "complication" off the watch face and don't worry about it anymore.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
We all know the watch needs the iPhone to operate, and the iPhone doesn't last more then 18 hours so why does the watch need to? If you have to recharge your iPhone every night, it should be easy enough to charge the watch as well.

One thing that other smart bands do is sleep analysis. Having the extra battery would allow the watch to do this as well, and get an up-charge while you are getting dressed, in the shower, etc., especially if this has a contact charge for the batteries contained in it that feeds to the :apple:Watch battery through the contacts.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
One thing that other smart bands do is sleep analysis. Having the extra battery would allow the watch to do this as well, and get an up-charge while you are getting dressed, in the shower, etc., especially if this has a contact charge for the batteries contained in it that feeds to the :apple:Watch battery through the contacts.

That's a good use case, but any watch made (wether by Apple or others) wouldn't be ideal for sleep tracking as it'd have a screen and make it too bulky to sleep with. I'd love to see a very small smart watch small enough I could sleep with it on, but I'd be worried that the screen would be too small for day use.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
Another case of "battery life fetish". The whole point of the Watch isn't to be a device that you're constantly staring at, playing and interacting with, but a receiver of notifications that need not be acted on immediately. I struggle to imagine a lifestyle that simultaneously requires heavy use of an Apple Watch, while being far from a power outlet. Most of the reviews I've read had users ending each day with battery life to spare.

Not looking forward to seeing at the dweebs staring at their watches obsessively on my return visit to Silicon Valley.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
That's a good use case, but any watch made (wether by Apple or others) wouldn't be ideal for sleep tracking as it'd have a screen and make it too bulky to sleep with. I'd love to see a very small smart watch small enough I could sleep with it on, but I'd be worried that the screen would be too small for day use.

I think the older fitbits do that. For me, I was surprised at how light the 42mm was, so I didn't consider it a problem.

Hedwigg

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area

Yes, clearly a company with an Apple Watch in hand would avoid coming up with a solution for this issue. Use your noodle :)

kdarling

macrumors P6
I take it these people are aware that having batteries in a watch band is something Apple has patented.

If you mean this one, Apple's patent application was about putting battery cells in between flexible layers, so they could better fit as a unit inside curved device cases.

So if the Watch had been a big curved bracelet, then maybe. But I think trying to use that patent for a separate watch band wouldn't fly. Not to mention that everyone and his brother has already long ago thought of putting batteries in a watchband.

Btw, that application is in patent purgatory right now. The examiner has sent it back to be redone, saying that it should be broken into three separate applications, each dealing with separate subsets of the claims.

Plus there are plenty of people who go hiking / camping / boating for days, who might not want to (or be able to) carry a charger/pack and cable around.

Last edited:

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
If they do get it to work without kinks , how long before Apple blocks them with an update?

Kind of reminds me when apple restricted the voltage output on the ipad port to stop people from using usb devices through the camera kit.

This is the same thing I was wondering. I don't see Apple allowing this to happen for very long as they can likely block it with software.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Potentially voiding your warranty and putting your Watch's integrity at risk, and being restricted to use this one strap... or maybe just use it for very specific occasions even though you paid $250 for it? :eek:

There's a sucker born every minute :cool:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Remember that over 80% of fully funded Kickstarters are delivered well after the anticipated delivery date and a large percentage are never delivered at all.

Don't ever donate any money to a Kickstarter that you can't afford to lose as there is zero guarantee you'll actually see a product in the end.

It could be years before you see this product actually ship.

Gusjasso

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
We all know the watch needs the iPhone to operate, and the iPhone doesn't last more then 18 hours so why does the watch need to? If you have to recharge your iPhone every night, it should be easy enough to charge the watch as well.

Doesn't last more than 18 hours??? Right now, mine keeps running after 35 hours since the last charge, that's almost twice of what you affirm

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I wonder if Apple have authorised use of that port. It was my understanding that they're trying to keep its existence quiet and it's for their use only in relation to diagnostics and repairs.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
ugh... that's one ugly-looking concept. i hope, they work on it some more. come to think of it - it's got the "visual appeal" of some iphone-battery-cases...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.