Reserved a Black iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon) but I am AT&T...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FoxD, Sep 29, 2016.

1. FoxD macrumors 6502

I reserved a black Verizon iPhone 7 Plus at Apple because I read that the Verizon version of the iPhone 7 can be bought unlocked.
    I am an AT&T customer so not sure how I would activate it. Questions:

Has anyone had success doing this?
    Will Apple help me get it set up when I pick it up?
    Can I just put in my existing SIM card before it boots up to activate?

Or what is the correct procedure? They were out of AT&T versions and I just want to buy it in full tomorrow when I pick it up.

Thanks!

2. idanny34 macrumors regular

I purchased a Verizon iPhone 7 Plus outright from Apple. Currently using it on T-Mobile's network. Just pop out the Verizon SIM card, replace it with your SIM card, and go through the activation/setup process.

3. kevroc macrumors 6502

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You have to pay for the phone in full though. They will not let you do the IUP plan with a phone that is not your carrier.

5. Europa13 macrumors 6502

Have you been able to restore it and update it in iTunes with your T-Mobile SIM card in it? If it can easily be updated and restored without a Verizon account, I would consider buying one in the future so I don't have to go through AT&T for unlocks.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Two weeks ago before porting my number from AT&T to Verizon, I purchased the Verizon model and took the sim card out and inserted my AT&T sim card before turning the device on. Worked great.

7. lmcrael macrumors member

As stated above, insert your sim-card before turning the phone on then follow the activation process on the phone. I'm an AT&T customer and brought a Verizon phone 7+ outright from the apple store. Works just fine.

8. kevroc macrumors 6502

I activated mine before taking the vzw sim out then restored from iTunes backup and then swapped sims. No big deal, works perfectly.

9. FoxD thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it and it worked fine.

1. Reserve it at midnight when they come in stock
    2. Go buy it and pay in full
    3. Put existing SIM card in
    4. Power it up and it activated automatically
    5. Restore

No issues at all and easier to find Verizon models.

10. wepiii macrumors 6502a

For whatever it's worth, I am ATT and bought a Sprint iPhone outright and it has worked perfectly. They are even easier to find than the Verizons