Reserved pickup and apple.com order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karthwyne, Jun 22, 2010.

1. karthwyne macrumors newbie

karthwyne

I haven't seen this particular scenario discussed, so I finally decided I would ask.
    I of course dealt with the fiasco that was June 15. I eventually was given the ability to make a reservation, and although I wanted it shipped, I figured that was better than nothing. A few hours later I was able to get an order successfully placed. Both of these were put on the same number and same apple ID.

The original plan was to give the 3G to my wife (although she was available for upgrade), but we have since decided that it makes more sense to get a new 4 for her and sell the 3G (which is why I have not cancelled the reserve). There are 2 tricky parts to that - the apple ID it is reserved for and the number are mine (will activating the i4 that arrives tomorrow affect this) and I am the 2nd line (authorized retail user) on the family plan under her name (different last names). Is there any chance that I would be able to pick up the iphone from Apple on the 24th, or will she have to be present as well? I could go at any time, but she would not be able to get there before about 7pm.

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

2. karthwyne thread starter macrumors newbie

karthwyne

3. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Keep the shipped one on the line it was ordered for and use the reservation for the other line. Supposedly, any authorized user of the account can pick up a reservation, but call your local store to be sure.

4. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

I am also not the primary line on the family plan.

Last year I ran into a similar issue. I was half way waiting in line for a 3GS when an Apple employee scouring the lines said I won't be able to activate the phone since I'm not the primary holder. Now the thing is I am under my mom's account, but she never touches the account (I pay for it), and we have it as a family plan so I can keep track of things cause stuff like that confuses her.

So I had all her account info, and I called AT&T while still in line and pretended I was the primary holder and said to put my name and number on the account as someone who can manipulate the account. They noted my name and number in the account.

So with that I just continued into the Apple Store. They put in my phone number with the last four digits of my MOTHER'S social security number, and it worked out just fine.

However, you may want to check with AT&T and your wife. Just make sure you have the social security # handy and it wouldn't hurt to call AT&T and make sure to say that you can manipulate the account.

I hope that helps.

5. dels macrumors member

Whomever the primary account holder is can log into your AT&T account and list the other as an authorized user.

Last time I tried upgrading I ran into this problem. Wife logged in, authorized me, and the rest of the upgrade went without a hitch.

I would get the SS# of the primary account holder when going to pickup the new phone just in case.

6. karthwyne thread starter macrumors newbie

karthwyne

I'm like SiskoKid, I do all of the account maintenance. I am a retail authorized user as listed in the AT&T webpage. I also know her last 4 of ssn (after entering that 500 times on 06/15 I don't know that I could forget it).

So everyone thinks that I should be able to buy the reserved i4 for her line, that she shouldn't need to be present? Awesome, that will make life easier.