'Reserving' 3GS at at&t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leisgean, Jun 22, 2009.

1. leisgean macrumors newbie

I just went in and 'reserved' a white 32gb 3gs at at&t. This is after I called (yesterday) and was told they would have some in stock today. They told me today it would take up to two weeks after i paid for the phone there. Anyone have any experience with this 'reservation' system, or know if i'll get my phone tomorrow or two weeks from now?

2. Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

I'm in their late reservation queue right now. So far, I've gotten no tracking number, and know that the item will end up at the store. If you call the store, pretty much the only thing they'll tell you is that you'll get an e-mail when it's in.

I'm kinda frustrated, since mine shipped Friday, and have no information at all. I would have gone and purchased from the Apple store if I'd known it was going to be this information-sparse.

3. nicheco macrumors member

i ordered mine the day after the 7-14 day stupidness started, but i did get it on launch day so i'm not complaining. i was in an apple store last night. they have phones in stock.

4. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Same here. I was told that if you "ordered" at the store, you have to wait for it to be shipped (separate from what the stores gets automatically). CSR told me it was a separate system they order it under. so if you "ordered" one, you can't come in and pick one up from their stock, you have to wait for yours to come in 7-14 days after your order.

5. FetalSage macrumors regular

I was thinking of reserving my phone, but thought that I'd have more luck at the Apple store.

Yesterday (Sunday), I arrived 20 minutes before the San Francisco Apple store on Stocking opened at 11am and was 13th or so in line. After about 10 minutes, over 30 people were behind me.

Waited a little bit, greeted by a cute Apple Store employee that helped me get a phone.

So didn't wait long at all, no reservations. So just go to the Apple store about 20 minutes before it opens.

6. 2good2btru macrumors member

I ordered my iPhone on Friday (the 19th) around 1:00. They had sold out of all their stock completely earlier that morning, so I bought it in the store and they told me they would send me an e-mail and give me a call when it's in stock.

They gave we a waiting date of 7-14 days. No tracking number, no information at all yet. It's driving me crazy. I should have gotten up early to wait in line.

7. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

not a reservation...

It's a fulfillment order. AT&T did well with it and got a good allotment this year but not every order made it obviously for the launch.

Still, they did much better and avoided people waiting around and coming up short like in years past.

The local place near me I struck out two years running. 2g I was in the line early enough but when I got to the front only the 4 gig. Bolted immediately. Next day drove to the Apple Store in Paramus and had one and out the door in less than three minutes.

Then the next year 3G tried again but this time they were smarter (and nicer). No corporate coverup to get you in line for nothing. They came out took a count in the line and asked for size choice. Then they said anyone who wasn't going to get it could go the fulfillment route.

Lot of people stayed. I bolted immediately to go get my car. On a hunch I drove to the Short Hills Mall. Got there about 9:45 and 8 people in line in front of me. We all know the mandatory in store activation rule they had last year and it was slow. But was in and out in 20 minutes with a 16GB. Remember feeling thrilled about that as through the day so many folks were in those lines and the activations were taking 15 minutes per person on average. Must have been murder.

This year I popped into the local AT&T and inquired. They said they had some inventory for sale outside of preorders. Went Friday morning early and they said after the preorders they would take other folks.

Again they announced the short inventory after all the preorder folks. Said they were out of the 16GB. No problem for me, was happy about this. Snagged the desired 32GB and got out by 10 am.

Thought about the irony that some folks would not get it as hoped on launch day. But it's really not AT&T's fault. They were badly shortchanged by Apple in before, especially year one with most stores having a mere handful.

This year was much better with some of us scoring with the extras. But it's not a reservation system at all. It's a preorder and a fulfillment system.

Apple's "reservation" concept was hardly a reservation either. All it did was put you in one line over the walk ins and get you in to the store maybe a little faster. Not even in all cases.

This year was clearly the best for people overall though. It will never be perfect but hopefully they never force everyone to do the in-house activations. AT&T did stick with it again this year.