Reserving an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by My name is Alex, Feb 26, 2011.

1. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

If I am going to wait in line at an apple store early in the morning on launch day, do I still have to reserve an iPad, or do I just wait in line? Also, if I do have to reserve one, what would be the best way to do that?? Thanks for the help.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Your best strategy would be too sight tight and pay careful attention to what Apple announces on March 2. They will, no doubt, let you know how and when you can get your hands on one.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not to be snarky, but the best way to do this is wait until Apple tells us how and when they will be releasing it.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree with the other posters that we should wait and see what Apple says. But with iPhone releases in the past, and also with the iPad release last year, there were two lines at the store, one for people with reservations, and one for those without. If you made a reservation, you were guaranteed an iPhone/iPad, provided you got there by a time specified in your reservation confirmation email. People who didn't reserve were able to buy iPhones/iPads as long as supplies last, but of course, supply would be limited, so they tend to run out early. So your best course of action was to make a reservation, so you are guaranteed to be able to make your purchase.

Again, they might do it differently this time, but that has been the experience in the past.

5. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I appreciate the politeness here, but perhaps more constructive comments would be appropriate- such as, "When the first ipad was released, they..." or "I reserved my iPhone 4..."

I feel like "Wait and see" is a tad rude, and doesnt help anyone.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

The poster appears to be under the impression that announcement day is "launch" day for sales. While anything is possible, he's likely going to be disappointed if he's going to wait in line early that day. On the other hand, if he''s referring to the actual launch day as being some time after March 2, then he's best served by waiting to hear the announcement on that day. Suggesting that he wait and see is pretty damn helpful, rather than speculate based on some past experience that may or may not be relevant.

7. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Perhaps you are right- technically speaking. And I suppose I agree with you.

However, the op clearly posted his questions hoping for some sort of tangible answer- whether it be correct or not (not sure it matters?). If this is the case, I think answers like "wait and see" are just as useless as the questions. In short- give us something. We don't care about the quality of it.

(am I making sense or is the beer doing the talking for me?)

8. My name is Alex thread starter macrumors regular

My name is Alex

You're making sense, but thanks for the answers anyway. Thursday morning is gonna be exciting!!:D.

I also realize that Thursday is just an announcement, and that the actual release date will be after March 2nd.

9. chrishemley823, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011

chrishemley823 macrumors newbie

Sigh...MacRumors...

1. March 2nd is Wednesday, not Thursday.

2. You have NO idea when the product will be released.

10. Night Spring, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, there has been products in the past that were available the same day as the announcement, so I wouldn't say "absolutely no chance," though I tend to think it's unlikely with the iPad.

11. AnthonyC-1980 macrumors newbie

Since the posters location is Gold Coast, Australia may I respectfully suggest that it will be an exciting Thursday morning for him. :)

12. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

my cousin is laid off from work. I'm going to pay him 10 bucks to camp out and wait in line for me. should be enough for some booze lol

13. My name is Alex thread starter macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Thank you, was about to post this myself.

14. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

That's funny ! I am retired, but paying someone to stand in line for me sounds like a good idea. I don't have an iPad, but can see how useful it would be for travel.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It will not hurt to reserve AND wait in line if you can't wait.

I have to think that Apple may not have enough to fill all their orders so every man for himself.