Reserving and NOT being the primary account holder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmar910, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jmar910 macrumors member

First off, I reserved the iPhone 4 to pick up at my local apple store. My dad is the primary account holder for our plan, but he lives 4 hours away. I am an authorized user on the account though. I kept hearing a lot of stuff about needing to be the primary account holder to pickup the iphone on the 24th so I decided to get to the bottom of it. I even read on AT&Ts website that even authorized users need the primary account holder present specifically at the apple stores. I was a little worried.

I called AT&T, Apple Customer Support, and my local apple store where I reserved my iphone and asked them if I pick it up without my dad there. They all said the same thing ... yes I can. AT&T even went so far to make a note on my account saying I was going to pick up the iPhone without my dad there and double-checked I was an authorized user. I am. Cool.

I called the local apple store and the lady said the same thing, just have my ID (reserved under my name) and my dad's SS# ready.

I called Apple last, and the guy on the phone said the same thing, and said just to be safe maybe have an email from my dad handy. I told him that on my AT&T account page, it lists me as an authorized user, could I possibly show them that? He said that was fine, and I should be good to go. He even sympathized with me saying he wouldn't want me to walk out of the apple store empty handed. So I got the go ahead there as well.

I hope this clears some things up for you guys, I don't know what the deal with this is. I even heard reports of people being denied last year (and years before, can anyone confirm this?) for not having the primary account holder present. I don't know, it worries me... but all of them said yes and I have proof, so here's to hoping... :D

2. jmar910 thread starter macrumors member

3. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

No no it's cool... just copy the same OP as a comment there so others can see, as it is good information

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Thanks for this info! I've been concerned about it myself, being an authorized user who's currently 15+ hours from the primary account holder. I didn't have any problems picking up my preordered 3GS last summer from the AT&T store, but my only option this time was to reserve and pick up @ an Apple store so I've been a little stressed about whether or not I'd have a problem.

5. jmar910 thread starter macrumors member

No problem. I'd say call your local apple store and confirm that. I called mine twice over the past week and both times said I can get it. I don't see why this should be a problem for them or AT&T if we're authorized users. Some speculation was that last year, apple didn't have the right AT&T views to see the authorized users on the account. Maybe they changed it this year, who knows? I could even get my dad to call from his phone number tied to the account to confirm if they really give me a hard time, but I think they'll stay true to their word.

6. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

Apple rep confirmed that they changed the policy to now allow authorized users access.... as long as you know last 4 of primary's SSN and have ID to prove you are the authorized user to match the name showing on account, you are all good.

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I've been able to purchase an iPhone as an authorized users ever since the first one came out. All you need is the last 4 digits of the SSN, and many times they don't even ask that if you provide your ID and it's the same name that is listed as an authorized user...

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I've also been worried about this because it's been a hot topic lately and my account holder lives 3 hours away.

I have, however, upgraded to every single iPhone without him with me, so I'm expecting it to go the same way on Thursday.

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I wouldn't worry. Every year, this question goes through the line outside of the Apple Store, with people clamoring that their husband/wife/mother/father is the primary holder and they want to upgrade. As long as that said person has indicated you are an authorized user, you can do it.