Reserving AT&T Plus for In-Store Pickup (AT&T Next)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ctm126, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ctm126 macrumors newbie

I recently switched over to Next and I am trying to figure out a way to reserve a Plus for pickup in the store.

I already have one preordered slated for mid-October delivery so Apple won't let me reserve another phone on my line, and then there's the whole issue with ATT next. Does anyone have any ideas for a workaround? I've been keeping an eye on the stock and the Apple store near me gets deliveries pretty frequently, but I guess they are not setting aside any phones for walk-ins and are allowing people to reserve all the phones for pick up ahead of time, because even when I show up first thing in the morning they say they have no Plus models.

Also, am I the only one that finds it ridiculous that Apple will let scalpers walk out with two phones, but won't let you reserve a phone for pickup if you already have a preorder when you would either have to add a line or cancel the preorder anyways?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not wait until Apple delivers the phones that you initially ordered or am I missing something :confused:

3. ctm126 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just trying to get one sooner if at all possible, since it looks like it will be 3-4 weeks.

4. Stein357 macrumors 6502

When I tried to do in store pick up with Next on preorder day it wouldn't let me.

5. ctm126 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've been playing around with it for the last hour and I don't think there's a way to do it since my whole plan is on Next. I saw posts earlier stating that people are having success ordering it for pickup with a two year plan but switching it over to Next but I doubt that would work on my family plan.

Not sure why Apple/ATT are making it such a hassle for Next users especially considering the way ATT is shoving Next down everyone's throats.

6. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

The only explanation is that with Next, no money down is needed.
    Apple isn't going to hold a phone for a week unless they have your money in hand.
    They could have implemented a "hold" charge for Next plans, then refund you when you pick up your phone.

7. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

My only idea behind their policy was that since you just pay sales tax on Next orders it is bascially a free preorder and Apple might not want that for whatever reason.

8. ctm126 thread starter macrumors newbie

True I didn't think about that. I think I might just try and reserve a T-mobile one off contract and have them put it on my next line in store but it sounds like I have a better chance of finding the Ark of the Covenant than finding a T-mobile 6+.