reset admin password, now desktop files and bookmarks are gone!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cadillacvernon, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cadillacvernon macrumors newbie

Okay, I have a Powerbook G4 running Tiger.

So I forgot my admin password (which was the only user account I had), but I couldn't find my install disc. I have since found it, but since I am the impatient type, I went searching google to figure out how to reset my password without the disc.

One website told me to change the name of my "home folder," so I changed it from "Jason" to "Hello."

It then said to reboot and type the following at the command prompt:

"sh /etc/rc"

Which I did, and a bunch of text came up. Then I typed:

"passwd Jason"

to change the admin password. It prompted me to enter a new password twice, which I did. Then I rebooted.

When the login came up, it had two logins to choose from, "Jason" and "Other." I chose Jason and entered my new password. When it logged in, all my desktop files were gone and all my Safari and Firefox bookmarks were gone.

In my "/Users" folder, it now has "Jason" as the home icon, and beside that there is a folder called "Hello." In "Hello/Desktop," I found all my files that used to be on my Desktop.

My problem now is, how do I get my old account back (Hello)? I still don't remember the password. Do I need to use the disc? Should I just drag all the files from the "Hello/Desktop" folder to my "new" desktop?

Also, when I went into terminal, and typed "ls -a /Users" it came back with this:

. .DS_Store Shared Hello
    .. .localized Jason

I'm very confused. Can someone please help me!?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This might help you. Your problem isn't exactly the same, but the process you'd need to follow is similar.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I think this article is a little bit more applicable, actually.

4. cadillacvernon thread starter macrumors newbie

JediMeister.... i love you!

I searched google and the KB for hours to get specifics, and everyone on the forums was telling me to do all this crazy crap in Terminal.

thank you so much for such a simple and effective solution!

everything is now back the way it was, bookmarks, settings, files, everything except my desktop background for some reason, but yeah thanks again man

One more question... should I now delete the "new" home directory (the one that I renamed "Jason_new")?

Maybe I'll back it up to my external HD and then delete it, just to be safe?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It should be pretty safe to delete the new directory. I sincerely doubt there's anything to preserve in there since it doesn't have any of the files/folders you were trying to locate on the original user.