Reset default Settings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RuivoM, May 4, 2017.

1. RuivoM macrumors member

Hello, for some reason my display thinks that is a external monitor (in my rMBP) and even though I tried to reset everything I can, nothing solved. I believe that the only solution now is a full restore but it's very inconvenient for me at the moment to the a "full" restore to the machine so I was wondering if there's any way (or at least an easier one) to fully "restore" the machine and keeping only all the applications and documents that I have.

I know there's time machine but I believe that TM will also carry the corrupted settings that my machine have at the moment.

I even tried searching and removing .plists related to the resolutions but nothing seems to fix.

These are the resolutions that my rMBP 13'' currently support:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ow6sdybm60wnjpt/Captura de ecrã 2017-05-04, às 20.11.38.png?dl=0

and this is how it looks in the system preferences (as you can see the little monitor displays as a TV or so and not the macbook picture as it should)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x40dv7tbxo304q/Captura de ecrã 2017-05-04, às 20.11.52.png?dl=0

As you can see, I have a 13 rMBP and I don't have the default resolutions (1600xsomething hdpi and so on) as it should.

It's hard to explain because it's a weird problem.

Any help will be kindly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. TheUninvited, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017

TheUninvited macrumors member

Try to reinstall Mac OS via recovery.

It will keep your files but will reinstall the OS, however it will keep most settings.

Just give it a try for now.

3. RuivoM thread starter macrumors member

Hum didn't know that. So, basically it's safe that I'll keep every data (apps and files?).

Thank you.

4. TheUninvited macrumors member

Yes. Just do a time machine backup first, to be safe, as always.

For the actual steps, it's actually easy, even has an Apple article. One Google search away.

1. Shutdown and start recovery
    2. Choose reinstall Mac OS
    3. Wait for a few hours
    4. After it finishes, you'll be back to your login screen.

5. RuivoM thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I'll give it a try.