Reset Dictionary?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cjddrum1, Oct 3, 2007.

1. cjddrum1 macrumors regular

Is it possible to reset the dictionary so the words I accidentally added are removed?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm guessing you're referring to Mac's system-wide spell checker. I haven't figured how to reset it completely, but did discover a way to remove specific words you added.

Open TextEdit, then go to Edit > Spelling > Spelling. In the window that pops up, type in the word you want removed in the text field then click on the Forget button.

I'll look a little longer to see if I find a way to do a total reset.

Edit: OK, found it. In Finder go to username/Library/Spelling and you'll find a file named en or maybe something else reflecting your language. You'll be able to see what words have been added, though it's a continuous string of words with no spaces so hard to read. I tried deleting it, but that didn't make those words "wrong" but I'm thinking it may take a reboot or at least restarting Finder for it to take effect. Let me know if you try.

3. cjddrum1 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for late reply, Thanks for the help man!

4. MatthewJ macrumors newbie

No "FORGET" BUTTON in Mac OS X 10.5.8

THERE IS NO "FORGET" BUTTON IN Mac OS X 10.5.8 Operating System !!!

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Straight line:
    Punch line, wait for it . . .

wait for it . . .

Ok, three years later:

Well, was it worth the wait?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As this thread is a bit older than the actual release of Mac OS X 10.5 and the participants of this thread participating in this thread in 2007, at the beginning of the eighth month (or tenth if you ignore the name of the month) of that year, and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard was released at the end of that particular month, one can deduce, that that those participants used a Mac OS X version prior to Mac OS X 10.5, maybe it was Mac OS X 10.4, sometimes called Tiger, though there were less stripes than in Chetah.

Btw, OS is short for Operating System, thus you are screaming redundancies.

End of arrogant reply.