Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I recently bought a cheap eMac which used to be a networked terminal at a university. I am hoping to do a clean reinstallation of Tiger but the computer seems to be tightly locked down. I am able to log in because I have a local username and password, but I do not have administrator privileges. There is also a firmware password so I am unable to boot from the installation DVD.

When I insert the Tiger DVD, I am unable to restart the computer and start the installation because it requires administrator authentication. Is there any way to disable the firmware password and the admin password so I can basically remove everything and start with a fresh copy of Tiger? Thanks.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
All you have to do is change the amount of RAM in the computer, and it will reset it. So pop in or out a stick or RAM and fire it up.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
All you have to do is change the amount of RAM in the computer. So pop in or out a stick or RAM and fire it up holding Apple+alt+P+R (to do PRAM reset). Hold keys until you hear third chime. Now OF password is removed.

Fixed it, if you don't mind :)

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I opened it up to try but it only has one stick of 512MB RAM so I've bought a 256MB stick on ebay. I'll let you know if it works once it arrives. My last resort would be to contact computer services at the university it came from to see if they are prepared to help. Thanks for all the help.

I also tried using a utility called FWsucker that I read about but it didn't seem to work - a load of text came up but nothing that looked like a password...

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I opened it up to try but it only has one stick of 512MB RAM so I've bought a 256MB stick on ebay. I'll let you know if it works once it arrives. My last resort would be to contact computer services at the university it came from to see if they are prepared to help. Thanks for all the help.

I also tried using a utility called FWsucker that I read about but it didn't seem to work - a load of text came up but nothing that looked like a password...

What if you removed the one stick of RAM, did the PRAM reset and then put the stick back in?

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
What if you removed the one stick of RAM, did the PRAM reset and then put the stick back in?

I just tried but it didn't work - it seems you need the RAM inside to do a PRAM reset. Thanks anyway. I guess I'll just have to wait until the other stick arrives.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I just tried but it didn't work - it seems you need the RAM inside to do a PRAM reset. Thanks anyway. I guess I'll just have to wait until the other stick arrives.

What about swap the stick to the other slot?

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Bummer. I guess you'll just have to wait for the RAM to arrive. Hope it works.

I just tried it now - I swapped the 512MB stick for the 256MB, and fired it up, and it will not PRAM reset! I'm holding ctrl-alt-P-R (it's a windows keyboard so let me know if those are the wrong keys) and it just boots as normal, going straight to the apple logo. Any ideas or am I screwed? Thanks...

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
You should hold cmd(apple)-alt-P-R. On Win kbd it'll be windows-alt-P-R. Hold it until you hear third chime.

Thanks that got it working! It's strange I needed to press windows - it was mapping ctrl to cmd when I was booting it before. It's installing Tiger now. Not bad to get a fully working eMac with an airport card and 768MB RAM for $14 :D

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks that got it working! It's strange I needed to press windows - it was mapping ctrl to cmd when I was booting it before. It's installing Tiger now. Not bad to get a fully working eMac with an airport card and 768MB RAM for $14 :D

Glad to hear that you got it working. These old Macs can still do a lot. Sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.