Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goharbaig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I have iMac intel OS Lion, very new mac user. Due to some reason I couldn't change anything on my desktop files and folder. I could not able to trash anything from my desktop only (I was able to trash other files (which are not on desktop). If I tired to trash,rename or moving any desktop items, system was asking for login and password, but it was not working. So I have been told to perform Reset Password thru Utilities/Terminal. So, as of right now Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs is running since 24 hours with no luck. I kept some thousand of medical records files with other 5000 epub titles in on folder on desktop (may be stupid). but please advice me to regain atleast old state. Your help will be highly appreciated.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have iMac intel OS Lion, very new mac user. Due to some reason I couldn't change anything on my desktop files and folder. I could not able to trash anything from my desktop only (I was able to trash other files (which are not on desktop). If I tired to trash,rename or moving any desktop items, system was asking for login and password, but it was not working. So I have been told to perform Reset Password thru Utilities/Terminal. So, as of right now Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs is running since 24 hours with no luck. I kept some thousand of medical records files with other 5000 epub titles in on folder on desktop (may be stupid). but please advice me to regain atleast old state. Your help will be highly appreciated.

I'm not sure who told you to reset your password. First try and repair permissions through Disk Utility.

goharbaig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
As of right now, after restarting, The repairing permission have been run and completed but desktop issues are still there. No change

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
As of right now, after restarting, The repairing permission have been run and completed but desktop issues are still there. No change

Open your home directory in Finder. Right-click on Desktop and select "Get Info". In the "Sharing and Permissions" table in the bottom, make sure your account is there, and has read/write access.

If it isn't there, click the '+' icon to add your account with read/write settings. After that click on the gearwheel icon and select "Apply to enclosed items".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.