reset iPhoto Library cache?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jng, May 29, 2007.

1. jng macrumors 65816

jng

How does one reset the library's cache? I deleted some files (>500) a while ago and when I copied the photos folder onto this newer computer the cache got messed up or something because I have blanks for those missing files. And it really bugs me in the library because it gives me the perpetual spinning beachball when I try to delete them and I have to force quit.

I did a search and someone set holding option will allow you to reset the iphoto library, but I only get options to choose another library or create a new one, not rebuild my current one.

Any ideas?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think to search Apple. I just did google. :cool:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

I've lost my library. I tried rebuilding, but iPhoto continually crashes. I've got 21 GB of images and am stuck with this one. Should I dump the pref file, or any others, or...?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try moving the preference file (com.apple.iPhoto.plist) out of the Preferences folder whilst iPhoto is closed. Does it open now?

7. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

It will open okay, but about 20 minutes into the rebuild (complete) I get the "suddenly quit" dialog box. I"ve put the computer into top condition (DiskWarrior, repaired permissions), but the shear number of images (36K+) seems to be overloading the process. This scenario has happened several times. Is there a way to load all my images from scratch, and let iPhoto put them in new folders in the library? The rebuilding of the old library is not going well. Something must have corrupted the original data/library files that reside inside of iPhoto Library.