Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
Wait, do you mean I can reset the computer to the intro AND delete the account I had used to install software? This would mean that the buyer could turn it on, set up his/her account, and not have to see another account already on the computer, right? That's pretty sweet, if so. How do you delete the user account and shut down the computer?

Floop

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
I want to be able to do this for some clients, but I'm a novice in the terminal.

Is anyone willing to post a simple step-by-step process to get this working?

I have set the computer up the way I want it, so what steps do I need to take so that when the client turns it on, they are presented with the welcome video and account setup options?

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
If you are running leopard, type this command into terminal and hit return/enter:

sudo rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

(then type in your password and hit return/enter again)

That will remove the file so that the next time the computer starts it doesn't find the file and goes through the setup again. The account you type this command from must have a password as "sudo" commands require you type your password. Just make sure the account you leave on the computer is some account that your client knows the password to (you'll give them the password) because when they go through the setup they will create a new admin account. They will then need to (they don't have to I suppose) go and delete the other account you used to type the terminal command with. Got it?

PS: If you're running tiger use this command instead: (renames it instead of removing it)

sudo mv /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone /private/var/db/.setupnotdone

Zuzo

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
If you are running leopard, type this command into terminal and hit return/enter:

(then type in your password and hit return/enter again)

That will remove the file so that the next time the computer starts it doesn't find the file and goes through the setup again. The account you type this command from must have a password as "sudo" commands require you type your password. Just make sure the account you leave on the computer is some account that your client knows the password to (you'll give them the password) because when they go through the setup they will create a new admin account. They will then need to (they don't have to I suppose) go and delete the other account you used to type the terminal command with. Got it?

PS: If you're running tiger use this command instead: (renames it instead of removing it)

sudo mv /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone /private/var/db/.setupnotdone

Hi i am a new user of os x and i had some problems with my MacBook.
I try do:

And my answer was:

sudo: /private/etc/sudoers is mode 0775, should be 0440
:/ root# sendmail: warning: valid_hostname: empty hostname
sendmail: fatal: unable to use my own hostname

Some one can help me?

Thanks a lot!
Zuzo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.