Reset login keychain without losing authorization for iTunes purchased music

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ispoons, May 28, 2009.

1. ispoons macrumors newbie

Does the login keychain have anything to do with the iTunes authorization required to play iTMS purchased music? If so, how do I reset the keychain without losing it?

The problem is that every so often the login keychain pops up asking me to enter a password. I've changed it and the keychain did not so they are out of sync. The only solution I've found was to delete the keychain. In 10.4.11 there doesn't appear to be any other way to sync the login password with the keychain password. Furthermore as I do not remember my old dotmac password nor my iTunes Music Store password, and as I no longer have access to either the Music Store nor dotmac, I worry that reseting the Keychain would lose access to all the music I've purchased throughout the years, and that's a lot of money spent for me to lose it.

The problems these brilliant people created are just so stupid I shutter to think what else they're messing up. I realize it's my fault for having to reset the password (even though it's a system bug in Mac OS X), but how do I resolve this problem?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Your keychain is separate from your iTunes account password.

You would only need to enter your iTunes password if the music became deauthorized, which is a process that must occur when connected to the iTunes Store itself. Therefore, resetting your keychain will have no effect on the playback of your music files.

And even so, if you've forgotten your iTunes account password (otherwise known as your Apple ID), you can recover it on Apple's iForgot site.

3. ispoons thread starter macrumors newbie

pleas read fully before you reply to someone

As I said in my original post, I do not have access nor do I remember that password. You are wrong, I cannot gain anything via iForgot since it asks for information from many years ago, and I just don't remember that far back. I doubt anyone does! Do you remember your passwords from years ago?

The entire authentication system relies on writing passwords down on paper, it's silly.

So you're agreeing with me then, that there's a chance I could lose all my songs I paid for? If so, that's theft.