Reset Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mstruve, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mstruve, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

mstruve macrumors regular

Hi

I have just bought a 2007 Macbook second hand. The problem is that all the old users info is still on it - it still has his name by the home icon and I keep getting notifications that I don't have access privileges to do certain things.

What's the best way to get round this? Should I just do a full factory reset or is there an easier way? I don't have any data on there at all.

Thanks very much.

2. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much, just what I was after. It's on Leopard, so I'm using the top guide.

It says "The best way to do this is to boot from a Mac OS X installer DVD". I don't have one of these, is there a way I can download it and burn to a disc?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not available for download. You can order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you don't want to mess with a reinstall... you can just make a new admin user account for yourself, then once logged in to that new account delete the remaining user accounts. You can do this from the Users & Groups pane in System Preferences. This will delete the previous users data and give you a fresh account to start with.

5. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that does seem like the simplest option.

I'm still getting a warning in iTunes though, which says "You do not have enough access privileges for this operation."

What does this mean and how do I get around it?

Thanks

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That method will not remove all data from previous users, as some apps store data outside the user's folder. It also won't address the fact that application preference settings may not be set to your liking. A clean install is the surest way to make sure nothing remains from previous users.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is this from the new account you just made?

It sounds like a permissions issue with the iTunes library. Try this to fix it.

8. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Yes from the new account. iTunes was set up from scratch (had to accept t's & c's etc).

Tried changing the permissions but still get the warning when I open iTunes. Anything else I could try?

----------

Ok thanks. A new user will be ok for the time being though until I can get hold of an installation disc.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... so you setup a new admin account and did nothing but start iTunes and you get this message? Or, did you drag in an old iTunes library or some music?

I have never seen this error myself. Other threads on this all point to the permissions fix I posted.

10. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Yep new admin account and just started iTunes with a brand new library file and got the message. There isn't even any music on the machine yet I don't think.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... maybe try a permissions repair in Disk Util and a reboot to see if that helps. I am at a loss. :confused:

12. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it is strange. Everyone else I've come across has fixed this by changing the permissions.

How do I do a permissions repair in Disk Util?

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just launch the Disk Utilities app from /Applications/Utilities then select Macintosh HD then click repair permissions.

[​IMG]

14. mstruve thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much, but that didn't work unfortunately.

I've tried reinstalling iTunes too but still no luck. Seems like a clean install of the OS might be the only solution.