Reset MBA 2013 to factory settings

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dr. McKay, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I sold my MBA and want to reset it to factory settings i.e. so that when he turns on the MBA for the first time, he'll see exactly what I had when I bought it new.

Start up from recovery partition (command-R) erase disk with DU and reinstall.
    However, it asks me to connect to the app store. As I don't the new owner to inherit my settings, is there a way to reinstall without connecting to the app store ?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

He won't inherit your settings but to avoid it. Repartition the drive using disk utility and format mac ext journaled. Then you should be able to do an internet recovery without it asking for details.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you upgraded to Mavericks and it is asking for your AppleID to install Mavericks?

To get back to the OS that came from the factory (Mountain Lion in your case) to a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery. You will see a spinning globe while the recovery console downloads, then it will start and look like the normal recovery screen. Now start Disk Utility and select the drive brand name at the top (above Macintosh HD) and erase in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. This will erase the Mavericks recovery partition. Then quit Disk Util and click install OS.

This will download and install the OS. Once the install is done and the setup wizard starts just power down. This way the setup will launch when the new owner turns on the system.

4. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a