Reset OSX to default, 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Giving my 2010 mbp to my dad and want to get it back to factory form. How would I go about doing it? I googled a bit, but all results are from 2006 (insert cd, press C). Is there some other way to do it? I don't recall getting a CD with the 2010 (then again, just receive my 2011 and didn't notice a cd)

2. Tabris82 macrumors member

Tabris82

All MacBook Pros (if bought from a store or online from Apple) come with two install DVDs... One with OS X and the other with additional software.
    In the documentation under the computer themselves is two parts "Everything Mac" and "Everything Else". You will find these two disks in "Everything Else".

3. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

When you buy a new Mac, it comes with 2CD's. One with the OS, the other with applications, like the generation of iLife that was out at the time.

You can also use or borrow a factory copy of Leopard or hopefully snow leopard.

The MBA's come with OS X on a flash drive, but you will need some copy of the OS to restore it.

4. Tabris82 macrumors member

Tabris82

If you can not find the disk I would recommend taking it to the apple store and ask for help with a fresh install.