Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

everett1911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
I finally got a keyboard and mouse for my Power Macintosh G3 All-in-One (The Molar) and I switched it on and everything works but the problem is that since it's an education market machine there's student, senior and admin accounts and I can only access the student account which is really limited (I can't even use the A/V card) and I don't have a mac os 9 cd or a blank cd to burn something with so I was wondering if there's something I can do without a CD to reset or remove the passwords, hell just deleting the accounts or disabling multi-user would do the trick too.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Are you able to boot the machine in ANY other way ? ie external drive?

EDIT -- OR - remove the drive and place it in another machine or external drive case (running MacOS 8.1 or later for HFS+ support) to mount the drive and remove the required file.

The file you need to remove is "Multi-User Prefs" in the System Folder.

Last edited:

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Are you able to boot the machine in ANY other way ? ie external drive?

The file you need to remove is "Multi-User Prefs" in the System Folder.
Is it possible to boot that model in target disk mode? I'm not intimately familiar with that model.

everett1911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
...Well that was anticlimactic.

I had no means to access the drive from other computers (bit of a pickle) so I shrugged and took a change and tried guessing the passwords.

"Senior"'s password is "senior".

"Teacher" (the admin) is "teacher".

At least now I have full access to my machine!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
o_O From the good ol' days when passwords were crap. ;)

You should be able to disable multiple users from the "Multiple Users" Control Panel IIRC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.