Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I've had my Apple email accounts for a looooong time. Back in the day, you had an Apple ID (with a dedicated email account) and you could also create up to 5(?) more email accounts which were completely separate from your Apple ID. These are separate email/icloud accounts with their own username and password. For those of you who recall, Apple did not originally require security questions/answers for email accounts. Fast forward to a few years ago, I accidentally locked myself out of one of the email accounts. When I reached out to Apple, they were adamant that Apple always required security questions/answers. We went back and forth and untimely decided to open a ticket with a request for a resolution only because I still had access to the account through my iPhone. I completely forgot about this issue until I visited an Apple store. One of the techs there recalled and agreed on how in the past you could create these additional accounts. You could also pay an extra fee to create more than 5 accounts. Now they are called Alias emails and are free. However, they do not function like the original email accounts. It's always fun to hear an Apple tech's reaction when they see multiple email and sub-email accounts on Mail, via screen share. It usually begins with, "wait...what are those email accounts? how do you have so many? how do you have subaccounts within those emails?"

So, here is my question: How do you reset/change security questions/answers you never provided?

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
It appears Apple added a new pre-security question: your birthdate.
Unfortunately, I never provided a birthdate for several Apple IDs.
What did Apple set the birthdate to for Apple IDs without one?

Apple engineers are working on an answer, but wanted to ping the community first.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Alas, Apple did utilize a default birthdate for any account which did not have one. The engineers are still working to unclock the account, but at least there's hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.