Reset PRAM and NVRAM cause DMPROXY overload

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleDroid, Dec 15, 2011.

1. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

Like others here I have the Mac Pro + Lion = Won't sleep on its own issue so I took the advice of a poster to reset my PRAM and NVRAM.

After my machine booted up I noticed my CPU was at 99% and my temps hitting 70c! I check activity monitor to find DMPROXY had 4 instances open all using 99% of my CPU. I manually forced closed them but I have no idea what would cause this to happen as I've never seen this happen before.

If anyone has insight on this I'd be most appreciative.

2. GGJstudios, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with sleep issues. Resetting it will not help. The DMPROXY process is related to your graphics. You may have had a runaway process that wouldn't shut down and allow your Mac to sleep. Killing the process as you did is the right solution. Let us know if it happens again.

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep

3. AppleDroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks and sadly my computer still refuses to sleep on it's own. I shut down everything, disable my PS3 medialink, killed activities etc but she is still wide awake. Really have no idea right now what is causing it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what process may be hung up. It wouldn't hurt to try resetting the SMC, as well. Running through this list couldn't hurt, either:

Performance tips for Mac OS X

5. AppleDroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well after turning off iStat, Medialink, network sharing and closing all apps the SMC reset sadly didn't solve my issue. Next up I'm going to unplug usb/fw items one by one and see if those are causing it.