Reset PRAM on 2019 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by insimbi, May 10, 2019.

1. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Has something changed with the new 2019 iMac that would not allow me to reset the PRAM? I just received my new iMac yesterday and restored my Time Machine backup. When the iMac starts, there is no startup "chime." Normally if I reset the PRAM it fixes that. But when I hold down CTRL-OPTION and P and R at the same time, nothing happens. The Apple logo comes up and it boots as normal.

Am I doing something wrong? BTW, I have a 512GB SSD so not sure if it's just booting too quickly? LOL
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2019 ---
    WTF, I just found this:

Mac models from early 2016 and earlier make a chime sound when they start up. Mac models from late 2016 and newer don't have a startup chime, with the exception of MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).

No startup chime? :( I had no idea they did away with it. That's what makes a Mac a Mac. Noooooooooo....

2. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

ha, happened to me too. i helped a friend set up her new imac, and thought i'd messed something up; no chime. but personally, am glad it's gone (in fact, on my older mac, i have the app 'silentStartup' installed) so that one's quiet too.

i just got a 2019 imac, love it. change is good, and silence is golden (something like that).

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Is there a trick to getting the magic keyboard to work at boot reliably? I often have to plug in a wired keyboard to do pre boot chores or boot into recovery environment from powered off.

4. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

i've done this once, and was able to boot into recovery with the magic keyboard plugged into usb...

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I just press and hold the key-combination the instant I see the display backlight come on ... works every time.

6. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

did not work for me first two tries, until i plugged in my magic keyboard 2...

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I miss having the startup sound, as it was useful for those specific key commands that have to be entered immediately after booting.

Having a wired keyboard around for such things is a good idea, as well.

8. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

works with the magic keyboard, plugged in. and you can wait about 20 seconds (apple's official suggestion) when resetting nvram. pretty simple, really.