Reset Region Swap Count For MBP Resale

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slimbek, Oct 21, 2011.

1. slimbek macrumors regular

I'm planning on selling my current Macbook Pro and buying an iMac.
    I originally bought the MBP while living in the US and so have changed the DVD Region a few times while converting all my US DVDs to digital etc.

But now for the resale, I'm a nice guy and so I don't want to screw over any buyer by only leaving them one region swap etc.

Is there any legitimate way to reset this Region count for the benefit of a future buyer? While obviously keeping my warranty etc valid.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm not positive, but I think if you erase the hard drive and reinstall the OS that will reset the region.

3. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

No. This will not do anything. You need to flash the drive. Search the forums I found some advice about doing this before.

4. jakeboy macrumors newbie

Just do this !!!

Hey just for the record, i have tested this on many Macs and it works.
    actually Apple deleted my post on their forums maybe because i found out...
    but here is the solution once and for all without software or firmware or flashrom and all that nonsense.

Cheers.

first remove folder in - User/Libary/Application Support/DVD Player : trash the seetings folder inside.
    second remove file in - User/Libary/Prefrences : com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist - trash that file
    Third go to Application Right click on DVD Player, choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS - trash the folder inside the DVD PLayer. Empty the trash. now you can play any dvd from any region forever. Region Free Drive.
    You cant use the dvd player anymore but the system thinks it still there. So Use the VLC player.
    Hope this is helpful for every one.

PS: if you cant find the 'hidden' User/Libary - folder here is the way to make it visible again in your user folder.

Show User ~/Library in OS X Lion & Mountain Lion
    Launch Terminal from Spotlight or Launchpad -> Utilities, and enter the following command to show or hide the directory:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library/

that's it. good viewing out there.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I dont think that sounds good for the buyer.

6. jakeboy macrumors newbie

i think its very good. what is wrong in your opinion?

----------

why?

7. slimbek thread starter macrumors regular

I think because any new buyer would be purchasing a laptop without a functioning DVD player (even though other software would work) - it's purely from a purchase point of view.

For anyone simply requiring a DVD reset and keeping their computer, it sounds like a reasonable plan!

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Buying a laptop, do you really want to be told "If you'd like to play XYZ DVDs there's some folders and files you'll have to delete. Be warned though, the stock DVD playing app will no longer work, but there's always VLC player".

To be honest I'd just tell the buyer about it and they'll likely be fine with it anyway.