Reset to factory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zebek, Feb 3, 2013.

1. zebek macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2013
    Hey everyone,
    New here and searched but couldn't find the answer so thought I would post, so be gentle. About 5 years ago I purchased a Macbook for my daughter it had some issues and after 5 repairs her extended warranty gave her a new Macbook pro since they stopped making the Macbook. The original one had a restore disk, but the new one didn't come with any disks in the box. Every search I come up with tells me to use the disk to restore to factory settings. I never questioned the no disk thing as I thought I heard at the time apple was stopping disks. Can some one please tell me if I am crazy and if not how I need to reset her macbook?
  2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Did you purchase it fairly early?
    All the models after 10.7 was released never got a disk.

You can go into recovery mode in your HARD disk and create a USB boot if you would like to fresh install your OS.
  3. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Apple now has a hidden restore partition instead of disks. To enter the restore partition you hit the cmd-r keys while booting up. From there you can reset your new mac to factory settings if you wish.
  4. justperry macrumors G3

Aug 10, 2007
    In the core of a black hole.
    A restore without a secure wipe is not secure, the new owner still can scan the HD/SSD for files.

You don't even have to reinstall, if you create a new user with admin permissions and then login to the new account and remove the old user and then secure erase it would also do the trick.
    There's a few steps more but essentially that's it.
    (Steps like changing admin password and empty caches and folders in /private/var/folders etc...)