Reset Yosemite for reale

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 5aga, Feb 3, 2015.

1. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

I'm selling my old MPB on Craigslist and I'm concerned about how to resinstall Yosemite.

I know you I wipe the drive etc but if I remember correctly the installer asks for Mac app store credentials to reinstall.

Is there a way to do install without that step? I don't want the buyer having that info.

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

If it does ask for the credentials to re-install I do not think they are kept in your machine since the OS will ask for them again upon booting for the first time after the re-install (a step which can also be skipped).

3. 5aga thread starter macrumors 6502

5aga

ok cool thanks for the response.

I will just install it the normal way.

4. steveyo macrumors regular

Download the Yosemite from App Store
    Create a USB Installer with a USB STICK (8 GB)
    Boot FROM THE USB STICK
    Secure erase hard drive via disk utility once you boot from boot stick (under utility panel)
    Install

Once it's done it'll be like a new straight from factory

Guide
    :D

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

You only enter your details to download it. No information is stored anywhere.
    After it installs, when it loads to the setup, press Command+Q to quit it. Then pack it up and send away.

When the buyer starts it up, he will be greeted with the same setup screen, just like a new Mac, and he can setup the system the way he wants.

6. Wreckus, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Make sure you disable/de-authorize find my mac from system preferences before you format. also de-authorize iTunes as well.

Edit: You probably know this already but people tend to forget this (I almost did before I got rid of my macbook air to get a MBP). Apologize if you did this already.